non-segment income (expense)

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by patacones, Sep 19, 2013.

1. patacones

patacones Senior Member

Bolivia
    Panama English
    and for that matter: Segment income ??

Hello all, this is from a table of selected financial data of a company. Both terms are headings in the table. I have searched quite a bit for either a clear English definition of what "segment" refers to in this context and for a Spanish translation, and haven't found either. Any help would be most greatly appreciated. (Looking for the correct financial Spanish translation.)

Thanks so much!

2. cubaMania Senior Member

IFRS 8 sets standards for reporting on "operating segments" ("segmentos de operación") of publicly held companies. It seems likely that is the type of "segment" referred to in your table.
    Following is a useful explanation, which might give you clues as to what "non-segment" means in your specific context.
    http://www.accountingtools.com/dictionary-operating-segment

In NIIF 8, the Spanish version of IFRS 8, I see references to "información por segmentos" so I'd be tempted to translate "segment" as "por segmentos" or "del segmento" depending upon what the table represents, but "non-segment" is a little trickier.
    Without more information about your text, I would not guess at how to translate your particular "non-segment" to Spanish.

3. Fernando Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain, Spanish
    I would say that cubamania is completely right. I use more 'áreas de negocio' rather than "segmento", but both terms are used in Spain.

I would say "Resultados no asignados a segmentos/áreas de negocio (gastos)". Please, check it fits the context.