1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

non si può fare di tutta l'erba un fascio

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by eugeninho gaúcho, Mar 4, 2006.

1. eugeninho gaúcho

eugeninho gaúcho Senior Member

new jersey, usa
    USA - english
    buongiorno amiche,

voi chiedo aiuto con la espressione indicata.

mile grazie de eugene

Sempre più ragazzi studiano a casa
    E gli insegnanti? Sono i genitori
    di DANIELE SEMERARO
    La Repubblica - 4 di marzo, 2006

"Non sono mai stata soddisfatta dell'idea di un'istruzione istituzionalizzata e uguale per tutti - spiega Isabel Lyman, autrice del best-seller "Homeschooling revolution", manuale indispensabile per i genitori che vogliono intraprendere questa strada - perché con i piani scolastici non si può fare di tutta l'erba un fascio: è come se vestissimo i nostri ragazzi con magliette tutte della stessa misura.

2. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    It must be an idiom like "you can not put everyone into the same basket", or "you can't fit a round peg into a square hole". Literally it seems to translate to "you can't make everything one big bundle of grass" (you can't bundle everybody together in one big bunch)

3. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    First guess from my idioms book:

Don't mix the good with the bad

tim

4. eugeninho gaúcho

eugeninho gaúcho Senior Member

new jersey, usa
    USA - english
    disengo,

based on your idea, perhaps it could also tyring to convey "...because one size does not fit all." (the home instruction manual cannot be made to fit all circumstances.)

eugene

5. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    Esatto! Dal testo..."è come se vestissimo i nostri ragazzi con magliette tutte della stessa misura."

6. victoria luz

victoria luz Senior Member

lecce
    italy
    Hi Eugeninho :)

The meaning is You can't generalise, not all of us are the same.

I remember I heard to tar sb/sth with the same brush, but I'm not sure it has a similar range of meaning. I guess it refers mainly to unfairly judging a whole group of people because of the misconduct of a few.

Natives will be able to help :D __________________
    Vic

7. niall

niall Senior Member

Catania, Sicily
    Ireland/English
    I would have thought it was the syllabuses (or whatever 'piani scolastici' means) that (in the opinion of the author) can't be made to fit all circumstances.

8. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    Yes, not to generalize...ma il detto "to tar sb/sth with the same brush" as you said, infers more of the idea of not condemning a group for the actions of one. In American colonies and frontier they used to tar and feather someone as a form of punishment.

9. victoria luz

lecce
    italy
    Grazie per il riferimento storico, Disegno :) Davvero interessante!

Quello dell'idiom inglese è uno dei significati di "fare di tutta l'erba un fascio", il più comune, direi.

Ciononostante, come dimostra il brano che tu hai riportato, a volte può anche essere utilizzato senza connotazioni negative.

Ciao

10. Moogey Senior Member

New Jersey, USA
    USA English
    Seems like you've gotten sufficient help from everybody else, but I would like to bring up "amiche". As I understand it, you're either calling us all friends that are girls or requesting help from only the friends that are girls. Perhaps you meant "amici" which covers men and women :)

Is this right natives? Did this pop into your heads when reading?

-M

11. victoria luz

lecce
    italy
    It did, Moogey (the use of genders can hardly pass unnoticed in Italian), but, as far as I was concerned, it fit...so, I didn't complain :D

P.S. I don't know if there has ever been a thread about it, but we usually have quite the opposite problem, as Italian (and most other languages) uses by default the masculine form. So nobody would have found it awkward if "Ciao amici" had been used, while we all have perceived "Ciao amiche" as excluding metà del cielo :rolleyes:

12. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    un'espressione interessante...in inglese diciamo "half the world" invece di "half the heavens/sky".

13. victoria luz

lecce
    italy
    In italiano si usa "l'altra metà del cielo" per riferirsi alle donne...per cui suppongo che la PRIMA metà sia abitata dai figli di Adamo ;)

14. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    From Googling I discovered that Isabel Lyman said often that you can't use "the factory approach, one size fits all", so I presume it is the "factory approach" that has been translated into "non si può fare di tutta l'erba un fascio".

15. Jcharlie Senior Member

italian
    Ragazzi e ragazze ho trovato questa frase:

TO SOW THE TARES WITH THE WHEAT

che non è una traduzione letterale ma può aiutare. ciao a tutti/e.