1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Norwegian: animal breeds

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Grefsen, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    This topic came up in another forum and I am curious to know what words Norwegians use to distinguinish between a dog that is purebred and one that is a mongrel (mixed breed).

Is kjøter the generally accepted term for for a dog that is of mixed breed? Google translator is giving me reinrasa and rasekatt as possible translations for purebred, but I haven't been able to verify this by checking any of the online norsk-engelsk dictionaries I typically use. I did however find several articles that use reinrasa in dog descriptions. Here is the link to one of the articles I found:

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=41211796

Here's a sample sentence using both of these words:

His dog is purebred, while her dog is of mixed breed (mongrel).

Here's the translation I got using Google:

Hans hund er rasekatt, mens hennes hund er av blandet rase (kjøter).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  2. myšlenka Senior Member

Norwegian
    Hi,
    you can use reinrasa, rasehund and rasekatt to refer to purebred cats and dogs. I would be careful with using kjøter to refer to mixed breed dogs (mongrels) because the term sounds very pejorative. If someone advertised dogs like in the Finn article and wrote that they were kjøter, I wouldn't want to buy one.

3. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    Google translations sometimes give interesting results -- this one tells you that his dog is a purebred cat!

Myslenka is right about kjøter. If you were advertising a mixed breed dog, you could use blandingshund.
    - see http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blandingshunder

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    You can not use "rasekatt" about a dog. It is a cat (rase-katt). You must use "rasehund", or "renrasehund". Something wrong with your dictionary?

5. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk for det, myšlenka! :thumbsup:

I couldn't find "purebred" in any of my english-norsk dictionaries, but if I had looked up "breed" instead I would have discovered that the Norwegian translation is "rase."

Takk for lenken!

I think I prefer using blandingshund instead of kjøter, gatemix, eller hundebastard. :eek:

Since one of the English translations for ren is pure, I'm guessing that renrasehund might be the best word for me to use for "purebred dog."

A lot of the norsk-engelsk/engelsk-norsk dictionaries I use are unfortunately very limited when it comes to compound words. :(

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  6. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Well, but giving "rasekatt" for "pure breed dog" is worse than limited, it's very, very wrong.

7. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Just to be clear, it was Google translate that gave me rasekatt as a translation for "purebred dog." The dictionaries I use didn't have any translation at all for "purebred," which is why I resorted to using Google translate in the first place.

8. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    You do not have to watch Monty Pyton to get a good laugh. Sometimes I just translate things on Google and lough myself half dead.

9. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Blandingshund is used in Danish as well, but there's also the expression "et (lille) gadekryds". It's used as a term of endearment, Jeg har adopteret en hvalp...et sødt lille gadekryds. I was wondering if there's something similar in Norwegian?
    Bic.

10. basslop

basslop Senior Member

Norway
    Norwegian
    Gatemiks på norsk

11. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Fint, tak!
    Bic.:)