Norwegian: forrige, siste

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Steveonline, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Steveonline New Member

Oslo, Norway
    Hello :)

I am not sure how to use forrige and siste (and prepositions) in the right way, for example in a sentences like this one: "Last lesson, we studied the past tense"

Is something like this correct?
    På den siste kurskvelden....
    Forrige kurskveld....

Thank you ;)
  2. NorwegianNYC

NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA

This is sometimes a little tricky, but here are the basic rules:
    forrige = previous, the one before this one
    sist = last time before this time
    siste = final

So, "last lesson, we studies past tense" can either be "forrige kurskveld så vi på fortidsformer" and "sist kurskveld etc.". However, you cannot say "siste kurskveld", because that refers to the final evening of the course.

When it comes to "forrige" and "sist" - I would say they are interchangeable, and used based on personal preference.
  3. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk for en meget informativ svar. :thumbsup:

Hopefully in the future I won't make the mistake again of writing "Takk for siste" instead of "Takk for sist." :eek:
  4. vthebee Member

English- Ireland
    I'm just not sure about something here. If sist is an adjective, would it not be correct if I was saying the last lesson to say 'den siste kurskveld' even though I'm not referring to the final lesson? I'm simply modifying the adjective sist with the ending 'e' since its in the definite form.

Or am I wrong?

5. NorwegianNYC

NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Yes, but you would not use it like that! Not in definite form. You would talk about "sist kurskveld" (indef.) referring to the previous one. If you were to say "den siste kurskvelden", you are talking about the final class of the course.
  6. vthebee Member

English- Ireland
    Thank you NorwegianNYC for your reply and clarifying the situation. Thanks also for correcting my grammatical error!!
  7. Steveonline New Member

Oslo, Norway
    Thanks for the clarification ;) definitively useful!