Norwegian: Hun har vel rota litt nå

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Beatrice M, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Beatrice M New Member

I'm having some difficulty understanding this sentence, which I assume is slang (or rather crude).

The context is the following: a person (female) has sent a reminder for outstanding invoices. One of the recipients makes this remark: "Hun har vel rota litt nå".

Thanks for your help!
  2. Ífaradà Junior Member

It's not slang or crude in any way.

It simply means that she has managed to disorganize/mess up the bills somehow. PS: don't trust translate :p
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. sjiraff

sjiraff Senior Member

Scotland, UK

"rota" is another way of saying "rotet" (From å rote) which can be used like "Hun rotet rundt i veska si" - meaning she looked/rummaged around, or to "mess" something up, like "uten å rote det til" meaning "without messing it up!" or "Hvem har rotet på badet!" meaning "Who messed up the bathroom!" ("et rot" meaning "a mess")

So I think here it means she has pried in to something, like got herself involved in it. But I'm sure one of the natives can give a better explaination, I might even be interpreting it wrong.

Edit: Ignore my explaination, Ífaradà is what I thought it might've been if not what I said! So it meant she messed something up afterall!
  4. Ífaradà Junior Member

I'm impressed! You know quite a lot I must say!
  5. sjiraff

sjiraff Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    Gah, I honestly went back and fourth between your explaination (if there was something she'd done wrong/messed up) and it being something similar to "blande seg i andres saker" as if she were sticking-her-nose-in by sending the reminders, and messing up by doing so.

Thanks though;)
  6. NorwegianNYC

NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    It can also mean that she has been fooling around with someone (hun rota/rotet med ham)
  7. Havfruen Senior Member

English - American
    Does it have a connection with the word for rat especially when referring to making a mess?
  8. myšlenka Senior Member

No, I don't think so. Besides, other animals can make a mess too :)