Norwegian: Hun har vel rota litt nå

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Beatrice M, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Beatrice M New Member

French
    I'm having some difficulty understanding this sentence, which I assume is slang (or rather crude).

The context is the following: a person (female) has sent a reminder for outstanding invoices. One of the recipients makes this remark: "Hun har vel rota litt nå".

Thanks for your help!

2. Ífaradà Junior Member

Norwegian/Yoruba
    It's not slang or crude in any way.

It simply means that she has managed to disorganize/mess up the bills somehow. PS: don't trust translate :p

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. sjiraff

sjiraff Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    English
    Hello,

"rota" is another way of saying "rotet" (From å rote) which can be used like "Hun rotet rundt i veska si" - meaning she looked/rummaged around, or to "mess" something up, like "uten å rote det til" meaning "without messing it up!" or "Hvem har rotet på badet!" meaning "Who messed up the bathroom!" ("et rot" meaning "a mess")

So I think here it means she has pried in to something, like got herself involved in it. But I'm sure one of the natives can give a better explaination, I might even be interpreting it wrong.

Edit: Ignore my explaination, Ífaradà is what I thought it might've been if not what I said! So it meant she messed something up afterall!

4. Ífaradà Junior Member

Norwegian/Yoruba
    I'm impressed! You know quite a lot I must say!

5. sjiraff

sjiraff Senior Member

Scotland, UK
    English
    Gah, I honestly went back and fourth between your explaination (if there was something she'd done wrong/messed up) and it being something similar to "blande seg i andres saker" as if she were sticking-her-nose-in by sending the reminders, and messing up by doing so.

Thanks though;)

6. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    It can also mean that she has been fooling around with someone (hun rota/rotet med ham)

7. Havfruen Senior Member

USA
    English - American
    Does it have a connection with the word for rat especially when referring to making a mess?

8. myšlenka Senior Member

Norwegian
    No, I don't think so. Besides, other animals can make a mess too :)