1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Norwegian: leke eller spille

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by enaid_cean023, Aug 19, 2013.

1. enaid_cean023 Junior Member

Filipino
    Hello!

I just want to ask if there are any guidelines in using the words "spille" and "leke".
    Can it be used interchangeably?

Thank you!

2. myšlenka Senior Member

Norwegian
    Hi,
    you can say that spille refers to an activity defined by a set of rules describing how to do the activity in question (e.g. sports, boardgames, instruments etc).
    Leke on the other hand refers to activities with a less rigid structure, very often without rules, so it applies to what children usually do.

Maybe someone else has other ideas about this :)
    And no, they cannot be used interchangeably.

3. enaid_cean023 Junior Member

Filipino
    Hi myšlenka! Thank you so much for the clarification. :)

4. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    These are excellent guidelines myšlenka! :thumbsup:

Here's the link to a thread from last year that had a good discussion about the use of the verbs spille og leke:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2344675

5. Slinkybinky New Member

Swedish & American English
    Hi,
    What I've noticed is the word "leke" is often used as a noun in reference to a child's toy whereas "spille" is not. If you order a Happy Meal at a McDonald's in Norway you'll receive a leke inside the kid's meal or you can buy a leke separately.

6. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Velkommen til nordiske språkforumet Slinkybinky! :thumbsup:

Yes, according to elektronisk ordboken Lexin, leke can be used to mean "toy:"

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  7. sjiraff

sjiraff Senior Member

UK
    English
    You can also call these leketøy, but then the gender changes and it becomes "et leketøy". As far as I know these are the same thing.

The way I remembered it OP, was that "å leke gjemsel" is to play hide and seek (something kids would do).

8. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk sjiraff! :thumbsup:

Are there certain types of toys that one would use leke for and others that leketøy is typically used for?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  9. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    No - they are synonymous. However - I think leketøy is a slightly dated form.

10. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk!

For what it's worth, a search of "et leketøy" got about 55,000 results, while "en leke" got over 500,000. :eek:

11. Claribelsofia Junior Member

Norwegian
    "Et leketøy" and "en leke" are synonymous, however leketøy is not commonly used for toys (it is a dated form ref NorwegianNYC). However, it is often used in expressions like; "En hund er ikke et leketøy" (" A dog is not a toy"), "Fyrverkeri er ikke leketøy" etc...

12. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Takk for god forklaring og for eksemplene. :thumbsup:

13. sjiraff

sjiraff Senior Member

UK
    English
    sorry to bump, but I thought I might also add just in case Enaid or anyone else doesn't know, but leken can also mean "playfull" (leken, lekent, lekne) even though it looks like "the toy" - so watch out for that and make sure to think of the context! I remember being confused when I first found similar adjectives, like "beskjeden" meaning modest, even though it can also mean "the message".

14. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I didn't know that. Tusen takk! :thumbsup:
    I would have been confused by this too so thanks again. :)