Norwegian: oppgjør

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Grefsen, May 4, 2013.

1. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I'd like to know what some of the possible English translations could be of oppgjør as it is used in the picture caption from the following article:

https://www.fotball.no/Landslag_og_...2013/Toppkamp-i-Toppserien--LSK-moter-Stabak/

Here's my attempt at a partial translation of the caption:

TOP MATCH: These are last year's top two teams on the women's side that meet at LSK Hall. Marit Sandvei celebrates after scoring last year's ?? :confused:

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Oppgjør in this context means something like "final settlement", "final account regulation", "getting even", but I don't know if there is an English word that corresponds exactly in the meaning.

3. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    I just wanted to add to the above that in sports reporter lingo, the word oppgjør seems to be used as a popular synonym for kamp i.e. game or (sports) event-competition. As Ben Jamin pointed out, the word is used in various contexts and frequently has a stronger meaning closer to a confrontation or a batte to settle a dispute or controversy. It is used figuratively as well, oppgjøret med ondskapen, med fortiden etc.
    Bic.

4. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk for hjelpen! :thumbsup:
    Perhaps this is one of those Norwegian words like dugnad that can't be directly translated into a single English word.

Could possible translations for oppgjøret med ondskapen be "the controversial match" or "the disputed match"?

5. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Rather: the final battle against the evil (or forces of Evil)

6. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    It may be useful to separate some of the different meanings of oppgjør, even though they are related.

First, oppgjør is used in trade, banking, and accounting, maybe with several meanings. I am no expert on this terminology, but my dictionary uses "settlement" as a translation for oppgjør in this context (for example "settlement of an account").

Second, oppgjør is also used in the context of negotiations between trade unions and employers. Lønnsoppgjør means "wages settlement".

Third, there is the more dramatic meaning -- which Ben has described. Ben and Grefsen asked whether this meaning of oppgjør could be translated into a single English word. How about "showdown"? Or maybe "reckoning"; "the day of reckoning" would be oppgjørets time in Norwegian.

Fourth, as Bic pointed out, oppgjør is used as a synonym for "match" in the context of sport. Fjorårets oppgjør means "last year's match", and it does not necessarily imply that last year's match was dramatic.

7. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk for svaret ditt raumar! :thumbsup:
    Perhaps "decisive match" would be the best translation for oppgjør in my example. The result of that particular match between LSK Kvinner and Stabæk ended up determining which team won the league championship and which team finished in second place.

8. basslop

basslop Senior Member

Norway
    Norwegian
    I am sorry but that is not closer to a solution because "decisive" means "avgjørende" so that would just be "avgjørende kamp/opggjør". :idea: How about "confrontation"?

9. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    That is a good suggestion. But the reason why I translated "fjorårets oppgjør" as "last year's match", was that I understood this part of the text as information about when and where the photo was taken. In that case, it might not really matter whether the match was decisive or not.

10. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk for mer nyttig informasjon! Jeg lærer mye av dette emnet. :thumbsup:
    At least in American English (AE), I don't think "confrontation" is used as a synonym for "game" or "match" in sports articles.

However, your post made me think of another possibility. :idea:

Sometimes sports journalists refer to a "game" or "match" as being a "contest." Here are two definitions of "contest" I found:

1. a race, conflict, or other competition between rivals, as for a prize.

2. struggle for victory or superiority.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contest

So basically what it comes down to is that when the word opggjør is used in a Norwegian sports article there's a good chance that it's probably just being used as a synonym for kamp.