Norwegian: oslo dialekt

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by elargentino, Jan 7, 2013.

1. elargentino New Member

Hello ... I want to learn oslo dialekt, is there any Internet page with audio for learning this dialect?.
  2. aprendiendo argento

aprendiendo argento Senior Member

Premantura - Croatia
    Croatian (Chakavian)
    Try to find the show Gutta på tur (it's available on DVDs) or books written by Per Petterson (who writes in radical Bokmaal similar to the East Oslo dialect, and not in moderate/conservative Bokmaal which is spoken in West Oslo and Baerum). (Conservative/moderate Bokmål is used by VG and Aftenposten newspapers, especially Aftenposten; radical/not-conservative Bokmål is used by Dagbladet, Dagsavisen and Klassekampen newspapers; especially Klassekampen).
    Modern (East) Oslo dialect is not that far away from ''radikalt Bokmål'' (Dronninga kasta boka i elva instead of moderate Bokmaal/Riksmaal: Dronningen kastet boken i elven).

Here is the overview:
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. NorwegianNYC

NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    You will probably not be able to find a course or instructional pages on the Oslo dialect per se. The traditional Oslo dialect belongs to a group of dialects called vikværsk, which encompasses the Oslofjord area as far south as (arguably) Horten and Moss. However, due to the substantial internal migrations in Norway over the past 150 years, the modern Oslo dialect has now become a sort of compromise between vikværsk and standard written Norwegian (bokmål). Bokmål again is an Oslo dialect influenced version of the older written standard called Riksmål, which again is a Bergen/Southern inspired version Dano-Norwegian.
  4. Cerb Senior Member

Norwegian - Bokmål
    While NorwegianNYC is completely correct about the origins of the dialect, most Oslo residents are likely to say they "speak bokmål" and will probably not even have heard about vikværsk. People will also tend to identify their Oslo dialect with either the west or east side of town as aprendiendo argento discussed.

I'd also recommend finding a TV-show or a movie where the Oslo dialect is spoken. Gutta på tur actually contains a good mix of dialects however (including some very distinct ones) and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. TV presenters from the Oslo area would probably be the most consistent source of an Oslo dialect you'll find and can be considered to be a "moderate/conservative" bokmål/Oslo dialect.

The only thing to come to mind is Fredrik Skavlan from the talkshow Først & Sist which should be available on youtube. I'll try to think of some more examples.