Norwegian: pleksi

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by hoarfrost, Oct 21, 2013.

1. hoarfrost New Member

Lithuanian
    Hello. I need some help with translation. At the moment I am reading short norwegian stories. One is called "Pleksi" and I don't know what does this word means. It's very difficult to understand this sentence "Vinduet i flykabinen er lite, ovalt, men ikke rundt, nærmere noe firkantet, dobbelt glass, pleksi, og det vil kreve en viss anstrengelse for å klare å ødelegge det." Can you help me to translate it? :)

2. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    The window in the aircraft cabin is small [and] oval [in shape]; but not circular, sooner more square [shaped]; double glass, plexiglass, and it will require some effort to be able to destroy it.

3. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Out of technologic point of view the sentence is of course wrong. The window is made either of glass or plexiglass. Plexiglass is not glass, it's a kind of plastic (polymer), while glass is made 75% from silicon dioxide, and belongs to a quite different category of materials.
    Today, airplane windows are made of plexiglass.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    Actually, I do not think they are referring to a combination of glass and plexiglass. I think "dobbelt glass, pleksi" is a reference to a double window pane made out of plexiglass. The word "glass" is often used synonymous with "window" or "window pane" in Norwegian

5. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Well, I said only the sentence was wrong from an engineer's point of view. In everyday speech people use expressions that are generally accepted by filologists, but make people with education in mathematics and natural sciences to frown, like "Vi legger et tungt fokus på denne saken".

6. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    He-he!:) Thanks to your comment, Ben, I realized that my initial reply was slightly incorrect. At first, I did not put a whole lot of thought into what "dobbelt glass, pleksi" actually meant, but reviewing you comment, I think it is suppose to say "dobbel glass: pleksi"