Norwegian: Rislapper

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by StunningNorway, Jan 3, 2013.

1. StunningNorway Junior Member

Australia
    English - Australia
    Hei

I bought several packets of "Snarkokt Risen Grøt" recently. I am reading the instructions. Under the heading "Serveringstips," there is a subheading, "Rislapper." What are "rislapper"? Are they rice pancakes?? If so, is there a better English translation?

I gave some packets to my Dad, as well. He asked me to write down the instructions in English, for him. :eek: So, at least I'd like to be correct!!
    :eek:

Takk for hjelpen.

2. myšlenka Senior Member

Norwegian
    Rislapper are made from a mix of leftover risgrøt, eggs, sugar, flour and maybe something more. They are usually served with sour cream and strawberry jam or whatever people like. They are considered to be some kind of dessert/cake because they are sweet, so I am not sure rice pancakes would be the same.

3. Cerb Senior Member

Norwegian - Bokmål
    Rislapper look very similar to American-style pancakes and are prepared the same way (try googling images for "rislapper"). I'd go with Myšlenka suggestion or perhaps make it "Norwegian rice pancakes". It should get the idea across assuming the person you're talking is used to American-style pancakes.

Rislapper tend to be sweet since they're made from rice, but as with any other traditional Norwegian dish there's heaps and tons of variety when it comes to recipes and serving practices.

4. loveabc90

loveabc90 Banned

English
    I thinks eggs, sugar, flour and maybe something more. They are usually served with sour cream and strawberry jam or whatever people like :thumbsup:.

5. StunningNorway Junior Member

Australia
    English - Australia
    Hei

Thank you for the information. I have just looked up 'rislapper' on Google images, and I now have a clear understanding of what they are. I don't think that there is an exact English equivalent. So, when I'm translating for my Dad, I will simply use the word 'rislapper', as it is.:)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013