1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Norwegian: Sun finally breaks through the gloom

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Grefsen, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    What are some of the different ways I could write the headline from this News and Views from Norway article på norsk?

Sun finally breaks through the gloom

Here's one attempt:

Sol endelig bryter gjennom mørket

2. NorwegianNYC Senior Member

New York, NY, USA
    Norwegian
    The first noun must either take an article (ei/en) or definite form (sola/solen)

3. myšlenka Senior Member

Norwegian
    Try to use the phrasal verb å bryte fram instead and combine this with NorwegianNYC's advice in #2. Then you get a lot closer to a more natural way to express it :)

4. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    Myslenka and NorwegianNYC are right, of course (and I would certainly use the definite form of the first noun, in this context). But what about "the gloom"? The newspaper story is about the weather in Oslo. "Mørket" does not sound right in this context. It has not been dark in Oslo for weeks, just cloudy. "The gloom" might have a double meaning here, describing both the actual absence of sunshine and how this weather affects the mood of the people. To capture both meanings, "det grå" may be a possibility. Or (a bit more concrete) "gråværet".

5. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk! :thumbsup: Would it be possible to make an exception for a Norwegian newspaper headline?
    Tusen takk for det! :thumbsup:
    Takk for gode forslagene! :thumbsup:

6. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    I don't think so. Newspapers want to save letters in headlines, but you don't save much if you replace "sola" or "solen" with "sol".

You can use "sol" without an article, if the meaning is "sunshine" or "sunny weather". For example: "Værmeldingen sier at det blir sol i morgen". I suppose that might work in this headline as well, but "sola"/"the sun" sounds better. "The sun" is the active part here, tearing the clouds apart and finally shining down at us. The definite form just seems natural, as in this Norwegian headline:
    http://www.yr.no/nyheter/1.11595282

7. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Good point! :thumbsup: Leaving out "The " in the English headline saves more space than just leaving out "a" or "en."
    Tusen takk for det! :thumbsup:
    How would you translate this headline Ein grå vinter går mot slutten. No kjem sola til Sør–Noreg! to English? "A gray/gloomy winter is ending. Now the sun comes to Southern Norway!" kanskje?

8. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    That's right! :thumbsup: Or maybe "... is coming to an end."

9. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Tusen takk! :)