1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Norwegian/Swedish/Danish: how to say 'Scandinavia'?

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by I am Jeg, Jan 3, 2010.

1. I am Jeg New Member

Sr
    1. How to say the word 'Scandinavia' in Norwegian, Swedish and Danish language?

Is 'Skandinavien' correct translation?

2. Do people who speak Norwegian, Swedish, Danish use in their native languages the word 'Scandinavia' the same as it is in English 'Scandinavia?

3. Is this correct to say in Norwegian: 'Jeg er fra Scandinavia'?

How to say the phrase 'directory scandinavia'?

4. How do the Norwegians, Swedes, Danes call the region of Norway, Sweden and Denmark?

Thank you in advance!

2. Södertjej

Södertjej Senior Member

Junto al Mediterráneo
    Spanish ES/Swedish (utlandssvensk)
    1. Skandinavien
    2. Not sure I follow you. Do you mean if we use it in English? Obviously not.
    3. I speak Sweidish so that's for our Norwegian foreros to reply but I guess it Sk, not Sc
    4. Norden/Skandinavien

3. I am Jeg New Member

Sr
    Thank you very much for valuable info.

From what I am learning, the Swedes and the Danes say 'Skandinavien', the Norwegians say 'Skandinavia'.

Do Swedes and Danes sometimes use the word 'Skandinavia' in their speach? Do Norwegians sometimes use the word 'Skandinavien' in their speach?

4. vestfoldlilja Senior Member

Norway
    Norwegian
    1. In Norwegian it’s Skandinavia.

3. Most would say they’re from Norway, but it’s not wrong to say “jeg er fra Skandinavia”. It’s more common to say ”jeg er skandinavisk” I think.

4. Skandinavia, and Norden, if other countries such as Finland and Iceland are to be counted.

5. Sepia Senior Member

High German/Danish
    In Danish it is simply "Skandinavien" - pronounced with "a"s like in AE "back".

Different cultures see Scandinavia differently - some consider even Finland as a part of it. Some don't even see Denmark as part of it.

Originally the islands and the peninsula later to be called Denmark were not considered Scandinavia. They discovered the south of Sweden, which they believed to be part of a big island which they named Scandinavia.