1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Norwegian: vite å ta seg til rette

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Clemica, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Clemica Senior Member

Zagreb, Croatia
    France, French
    Hei!

Kan jeg få bekreftelse at "vite å ta seg til rette" (eksempelfrase i ordboka for ordet vite) betyr "to know to admit one's mistakes"?

Jeg blir alltid forvirret av verbal med seg og preposisjon, det kan ha så mange betydninger.

Takk for hjelpen!

2. vestfoldlilja Senior Member

Norway
    Norwegian
    No, it doesn’t mean that at all. In a Norwegian expression in English dictionary I have ‘ta seg til rette’ is translates as ‘make free with something’. It means that the person taking something freely and often much of it does so without being told that they may. They do it without being welcome to do so, like eating food set out at a table, or going to the kitchen and getting food or drink as if they were in their own house. It doesn’t have to have anything to do with food, it can just be that a person takes up much of the space on the sofa and doesn’t leave room for anyone else.

In short they are not very considerate of other people feelings or needs, and tend to do what they want regardless of others. Å vite å ta seg til rette is used to describe such a person.

I hope I didn’t clutter my explanation so it makes no sense to you. :)

3. Clemica Senior Member

Zagreb, Croatia
    France, French
    Thanks for explaining! It is very clear actually. The dictionary often uses idiomatic expressions to illustrate the meaning of a word, but without context it's really hard for me to get what those expressions actually mean. Takk så mye!