1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

nos voeux les plus sincères, que ce beau gâteau vous apporte le bonheur

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Joelline, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    I came across the following "Happy Birthday Song" on a video and on a blog. Both claim it is authentic (i.e., actually sung at birthday parties). Is this true? And, if so, would it be sung for children, adults, or both? If this isn't authentic, do you know one that is?

La Chanson d’anniversaire française: «Bon anniversaire, nos voeux les plus sincères que ce beau gâteau vous apporte le bonheur! Que la vie entière vous soit douce et légère, et que l’an fini, nous soyons tous réunis pour chanter en choeur: Bon anniversaire!»

2. Jocaste

Jocaste Senior Member

Français
    Woh ! This song is a good one and mannered.
    We usually are less sophisticated.

A very common song would be :
    "Joyeux Anniversaiiiiire
    Joyeux Anniversaiiiiiiire
    Joyeux Anniversaire Mister X
    Joyeux Anniversaiiiiiiiiire"

Not that hard :p

3. BigRedDog

BigRedDog Senior Member

California, USA
    France, French
    Yep, you will find the exact lyrics here: http://www.paroles.net/chanson/11683.1 but I've never heard anybody go past the first part.

And yes, it works for any birthday but don't start singing if you're not with family, friends or close colleagues; in case of doubt, wait for others to start singing ;)

4. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Merci Jocaste et BigRedDog!

I like Jocaste's song better because it's a lot easier to remember! And Big Red, I NEVER sing birthday songs (or any songs) in public, I just move my lips!

5. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

If you are in Québec and it's your birthday (fête), you might have this sung to you,as I did once:

Ma (mon) chère (cher) ______
    C'est à ton tour
    de te laisser parler d'amour!
    Ma (mon) chère (cher) ______
    C'est à ton tour
    de te laisser parler d'amour!

6. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Merci Wildan! Unfortunately, I'll be in London for my birthday, but maybe next year!

7. khawkey Senior Member

USA English
    This sounds similar to a song that my husband's uncle sang at his birthday last year. I was so excited to hear a REAL FRENCH BIRTHDAY SONG rather than the ridiculous "Joyeux Anniversaire" sung to the English birthday song (which I always felt fell flat and very unauthentic).

I am still searching for the version that my uncle in-law sang, and I will post it when I get it.