1. PryrLily

PryrLily Senior Member

Queen Creek, AZ
    Colombia/Spanish
    · Norings/bracelets/collars/jewelry with spikes are allowed- Translation my attempt:· No se permiten las joyas de la cara como perforaciones labiales /“piercing” en el labio, discos de orejas/”gages”, y/o tatuajes Gang related symbols or insignias on books, caps, belongings or apparel are not allowed. My attempt: · Símbolos o insignias relacionados a las pandillas sobre libros, gorras, pertenencias, o vestimenta no están permitidos
    My question is which of the highlighted is correct. I suppose I am still confused about the grammatical order and term.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Both meanings (no se permiten/no están permitidos) are correct.

3. PryrLily

PryrLily Senior Member

Queen Creek, AZ
    Colombia/Spanish
    Thank you Chamyto. I have been breaking my head over this. So the sentences read correctly in Spanish? Thanks for your speedy response.

4. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Yes, also, you can put that expression at the beginning or at the end of the sentence. The meaning is the same.

5. iribela Senior Member

USA
    Spanish
    I'd go with the first, to avoid the passive voice.

6. Testing1234567 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    The "past participle passive" voice would be more formal than the "reflexive passive" voice in my opinion, but I'm no native.

7. iribela Senior Member

USA
    Spanish
    It's not a matter of formality, and it's not "wrong" to use the passive voice.
    It's just that, unlike in English, in Spanish we don't use the passive voice so much. It's easier to translate passive to passive, but translators usually try to work around that so the Spanish text flows more naturally.

8. Testing1234567 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    So you can use the p.p.p. in informal speech and the r.p. in formal speech?

9. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    From my point of view you can use whatever you want (they're interchangeable) ; nevertheless, I think it's true that the tendency is to use the reflexive passive more often.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  10. Testing1234567 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese
    ¿Porque es más fácil para usar?

11. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    Spanish
    Yo diría que porque es más simple y sencillo.

12. JennyTW Senior Member

Córdoba, Spain
    English - UK
    Para mí, suena raro "joyas de la cara" y tampoco veo relación entre "no rings, bracelets etc.." y su "traducción" a continuación.

13. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I agree with Jenny that the items mentioned do not correspond at all to the translation, but it seems that PryrLily's main concern is about whether to use "No se permiten..." or "No están permitidos". PL, If you finally use "No están permitidos", I would recommend putting it at the beginning of the sentence, as Chamyto mentioned. Also, I can't see a (past participle) passive among any of the options mentioned.

14. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    I think PryrLily may be confused by spelling 'No rings' as one word 'norings'; it surely means rings on the fingers, not nose rings.