1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

Updated: We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but new questions will only appear after a few minutes delat.

Not sure about this sentence...

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by jenko, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jenko New Member

German
    Hi!

So I have my first oral exam in Korean tomorrow and this is one of the possible questions:
    여자(남자) 친구에게 생일선물을 하려고 하는데 뭐 좋을까요?
    I'm not really sure if I fullly understand the sentence. I know it has something to do with girl/boyfriend and birthday gifts... My first thought was something like: "What would you like your gf/bf to buy for your birthday"...? Then again, 에게 indicates that the action happens to that person. So is it more like: "What is a good birthday gift to get/buy for your girlfriend/boyfriend?" I guess I have a problem with the 하려고 하는데 part in the middle... Help would be appreciated!

2. 하려고 하는데 is equivalent to 'be going to' in English.

여자 친구에게 생일 선물을 하려고 하는데, = I'm gonna give her a birthday gift,

뭐가 좋을까요? (do you have) any ideas?

3. So the answer could be '향수도 괜찮을 것 같고.. 지갑도 괜찮을 것 같고.. 아니면 화장품 세트도 괜찮을 것 같아요.'

4. jenko New Member

German
    Thank you! I didn't know about that expression and it just threw me off. Thanks, I really appreciate it. Hope you have a nice sunday. :)

5. My pleasure. Have a nice weekend.