Not to be sold individually

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by buyetistey, Oct 27, 2013.

1. buyetistey New Member

España, español y euskara
    Moderator note:
    The thread was originally about the meaning or reference of the ع . But it came to discuss the translation of "not to be sold indicidually", so I made it the topic, because it is more meaningful to the forum

Hello. I don't speak Arabic. I would like to know something, please:

On the wrapper of some food products (at least some ice creams) one can find information related to them in several languages. The data comes after the respectives ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 or alpha-3 codes or the abbreviation of the vehicle registration plates of the European Union of countries where that language is official. For example:
    UK IRL SG: Data in English language (Countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Singapore)
    F B CH: French language (France, Belgium, Switzerland)
    D A CH: German (Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
    NL B: Dutch (Netherlands, Belgium)
    I: Italian (Italy)
    E: Spanish (Spain)
    P: Portuguese (Portugal)
    SE FI: Swedish (Sweden, Finland)
    FI: Finnish (Finland)
    DK: Danish (Denmark)
    CY: Greek (Cyprus)
    RO: Romanian (Romania)
    H: Hungarian (Hungary)
    CZ: Czech (Czech Republic)
    SK: Slovak (Slovakia)
    PL: Polish (Poland)
    SI: Slovene (Slovenia)

And, finally, written from the right to the left, probably in Arabic, we have:
    ................. : ع

I've found that ع is ayin or ʿayin, a letter of the Arabic alphabet. My question is:

What does ع stand for here? In theory, following the above pattern, it should be the acronym of one Arabic speaking country. Which one? But perhaps it represents directly the Arabic language?

Thank you
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Bakr Senior Member

Yes, because Arabic language in Arabic is عربية
  3. buyetistey New Member

Thank you.

In summary: ع stands for Arabic language.
  4. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Definitely Arabic it says it can not be sold by one or individually. In post three all say Arabic al Arabiya ,Arabi and Arabi.
    note the last two are alternate spellings for the same sound.
  5. suma Senior Member

English, USA

it's like E=Spanish (meaning all the Spanish speaking countries not just Spain alone, too numerous to list all)
    ع= Arabic

Btw, it's a poor translation. "Can't be sold individually" isn't same as "Not to be sold..."
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  6. Bakr Senior Member

لا يمكن بيعه بالوحدة
    Can not be sold by units.
    Is it correct?
  7. tounsi51 Senior Member

In French it will be "ne peut être vendu séparément"
  8. AndyRoo Senior Member

Using these words you would have to say cannot be sold in units or cannot be sold by unit.

But the most common way is ​not to be sold individually.
  9. buyetistey New Member

I think that the codes represent the countries where the products are supossed to be sold, at least in principle. The entry of the English language is clarifying: 3 countries are represented; United Kingdom, Ireland, Singapore. They could only write UK, being the place where that language comes from, or UK + USA, the most influential English speaking country, but they add 2 specific more, considering that English is official in more States of several continents. If instead of the big USA they put SG probably it will be because the ice cream is to be sold in Singapore but not in the United States of America. It's also illuminating the CY code: that ice cream seems to be sold in Cyprus but not in Greece, the place of origin of the Greek language. The product seems to be sold mainly in Europe, with the exception of Singapore and one or more Arabic countries.

"Can't be sold" and "Not to be sold" are similar in my opinion. The Spanish and Portuguese versions are more in line with the first option.

The image opens quicker here from
  10. Bakr Senior Member

AndyRoo شكرا
    هل هناك فرق بين
    Can not and Cannot
    حاولتُ الترجمة الحرفية
  11. AndyRoo Senior Member

You're welcome Bakr.

Yes there's a difference - at least in UK English. Cannot is by far the most common way to write it and it means can't.

Can not
    on the other hand means it is possible not. e.g. I can not tell him, if it would help you. i.e. if you don't want me to tell him, I won't.

And can not be sold individually could be interpreted to mean it is possible to sell both individually and in bulk.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  12. buyetistey New Member

The original title of the thread was:
    Which country or language does ع (ayin or ʿayin) stand for?