Not Too Far off the Mark for Anyone

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HSS, Jun 4, 2009.

1. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Hi. how are you?

Other people might well disagree with me, but I think I'm not too far off the mark for anyone.

Could anyone please help me understand what "for anyone" here means?

Thanks,

Hiro

2. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    No idea, sorry.

I'm not sure that it would help, but can you give us the sentence that comes before this and the one that comes after, and tell us where you came across this?

3. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Sure, cycloneviv.

There are actually not generic senteces before or after this, but before this the author replies in a quote inlet section with his comments for the usage of will/be going to in the if-clause. This is where I came across the sentence:
    http://www.englishforums.com/English/IfClauseFuture/cwgxp/post.htm

Maybe, I should have asked it in the forum ....

Hiro

4. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    Thanks for the context, HSS.

I suspect the writer might mean "Others may disagree with the way I have interpreted these sentences, but I think they would agree that my interpretations are close to their own."

That is just my guess, however, and it might be worth asking on the other forum.

5. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I agree with cycloveviv.

I'm familiar with "right on the mark", "close to the mark" and "not too far from/off the mark" as American idioms referring to relative correctness. I've always thought of the "mark" as a sort of target, and the opinion stated as a dart thrown at the target.