Nothing has changed

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Silvia, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    What's the best way to say nothing has changed?

Thanks!

2. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    I propose "Rien n'a changé".

3. valerie Senior Member

France, French & Spanish
    C'est toujours pareil

4. charlie2 Senior Member

Is there a French expression "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose"? Does it mean that nothing has changed or nothing ever changes?

5. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
    "Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" is usually translated as, "The more things change, the more they stay the same" --i.e., nothing ever really changes, history repeats itself.

6. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Thanks Agnes for your precious and immediate answer! That's exactly what I was looking for ;)
    But I found "rien a changé on the web, so I was not sure!

7. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    rien a changé would be what you might say.. but you would definitely write rien n'a changé ;)

8. charlie2 Senior Member

Thank you. :)

9. Agnès E.

Agnès E. Senior Member

France
    France, French
    Je t'en prie, Silvia.
    And just a little trick to avoid mistakes in French : any kind of negative form needs "ne", or it is grammaticaly incorrect. Any time you have a doubt, just try and change the time when the "n" is not followed by a vowel and you can hear the "ne". Here you can choose present for instance : "Rien NE change" (even when talking, Benjy ! :p ). It often gives you the right direction ! ;)

10. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Just to clarify - it is common (in colloquial speech or writing that's meant to represent speech) to drop the "ne" in a simple sentence "je vois pas" "je comprends rien" "je veux plus". However, if you're stressing the negative word by putting it first you tend to keep the "ne". "Rien ne va plus" "personne n'est venu" "personne ne comprend".