Notice of entry of appearance

Discussion in 'English Only' started by luna m, Mar 22, 2008.

1. luna m Junior Member

mexico spanish
    This came from the US DEPARMENT OF JUSTICE, IMMIGRATION AND NATURALIZATION SERVICE, but i dont get the meaning of this paragraph is this to check the record of someone what does mean?

NOTICE OF ENTRY OF APPEARANCE AS ATTORNEY OR REPRESENTATIVE.

Appearances- An appearances shall be filed on this form by the attorney or representative appearing in each case. Thereafter, substitution may be permitted upon the written withdrawal of the attorney or reprensentative of record or upon notification of the new attorney or reprensentative. When an appereance is made by a person acting in a representative capacity, his personal appereance or signature shal constitute a representative that under the provisions of this chapter he is authorized and qualifiedto represent. Further proof of authority to act in a representative capacity my be required. Availability of records- during the time a case is pending, and except as otherwise provide in 8 CFR 103.2, a party to a proceeding on his attorney or representative shall be permitted to examined the record of proceeding in a service office. He may in conformity with 8 CRF103.10, obtain copy of service records or information therefrom and copies of documents or transcripts of evidence furnished by him. Upon request, he/she may, in addition, be loaned a copy of the testimony and exhibits contained in the record of proceeding upon giving his/her receipt for such copies and pledging that ill be surrendered upon final disposition of the case or upon demand. If extra copies of exhibits do not exist, they shall not be furnished free on loan; however, they shall be made available for copying or purchase of copies as provide in 8 CFR103.10.

2. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Hello luna_m, could you give any background to this excerpt? Are you doing a background check, or is someone being sued? As you know, legal language ("legalese" if you will) can be very confusing even from native speakers :( Therefore, if you have any background knowledge to include with your question I believe it would help us to help you answer your questions.

Pablo

3. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    WITHOUT knowing the context what you have, here is a paragraph of instructions for a lawyer who intends to handle some type of legal matter with the Justice Department or one of its subsidiaries such as the FBI. It is the instructions to anyone who files a Notice that he is going to Appear as a lawyer in some matter that involves the Justice Department. It gives the rules which the lawyer must follow such as showing them that he has authority to act for someone who is a party to some legal matter with the Justice Department. It provides for other information that the lawyer might use. You or your office must have acted as a lawyer for somebody.

4. luna m Junior Member

mexico spanish
    one of my friends is aplaying for the fieancee visa in USA, and she has to give some information obout her and give her signature and one of the papers is that one that o wrote and she wants to know the what exactly it is?
    Thank you for your help!

5. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English

I would suggest the instructions in that notice would make a perfect example of "gobbledegook", or even "legalese". Absolutely meaningless to 99% of its readers.

6. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English

Appearances- An appearance shall be filed on this form by the attorney or representative ("agent") appearing in each case. Another agent may be permitted on the written withdrawal of the agent or on notification of a new agent. When an appereance is made by a person acting as an agent, his personal appereance or signature will confirm that, under the provisions of this chapter, he is authorized and qualified to be the agent. Further proof of authority to act as the agent may be required.

Availability of records- except as set out in 8 CFR 103.2, while a case is ongoing, a party to a proceeding or his agent shall be permitted to examine the record of the proceedings in a service office.

As set out in 8 CRF103.10, he may obtain copies of service records or information from those service records and copies of documents or transcripts of evidence furnished by him.

Upon request, he/she may also be loaned a copy of the testimony and exhibits contained in the record of the proceeding upon giving a receipt for such copies and pledging/promising that they will be given back upon completion of the case or when demanded. If extra copies of exhibits do not exist, they shall not be furnished free; however, they shall be made available for copying or purchase of copies as provided in 8 CFR103.10.[/quote]

Hi Luna. I've moderately rewritten this in much more plain language and I hope it helps.

You should be aware that when you're quoting legal text, you must ensure that you quote it exactly. Every comma, semi-colon, etc. in "legalese" is very important and I think that some of your transcription had errors (albeit minor if someone can read between the lines). Just a thought for the future.