Notwithstanding any other provision of law

Discussion in 'English Only' started by tphuong122002, Jan 7, 2009.

1. tphuong122002 Senior Member

Vietnamese Vietnam
    Hi my friends,

I have checked our Wordreference.com Dictionary for the meaning of "notwithstanding" and can understand it well. However I still hope that you native speakers help confirm my understanding of the following: Does "Notwithstanding any other provision of law" mean "Regardless any other provision of law" or "Regardless what the law may otherwise provide"?

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, there is established in the Treasury a separate account which shall be known as the Vietnam Debt Repayment Fund (in this subsection referred to as the `Fund').

Here is the link: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c106:s3241:

Many thanks!

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
  3. tphuong122002 Senior Member

Vietnamese Vietnam
  4. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I'm not sure that I'd use the phrase "does not care". Many governmental bodies have their own rules set out in their own Acts which may contravene some other rule set out in some other Act. It is virtually impossible for every rule, law, provision, legal precedent, to coincide with every other one. As a result, by using "Notwithstanding any other provision of law...", they can keep (or attempt to keep) their law legal and binding. The use of "notwithstanding" is merely a legal "cover your butt" action but if there was a serious enough contravention between one law and another, there could likely be an effort made to invalidate one or the other. The use of "notwithstanding" is just being used to cover all the bases.

5. tphuong122002 Senior Member

Vietnamese Vietnam
    Many thanks indeed, Dimcl, for your very clear explanation, which helps me understand this much better now.

Best regards,

Tphuong

6. JJohnson

JJohnson Senior Member

Southwest Texas
    Texan English
    It means "this is the law of the land, but, since we cannot possibly know all the other laws, if we later find that this law is contrary to another law, then we will have to reconcile the two laws, SO, AS FAR AS WE CAN TELL, this is the law of the land."

7. kasinag New Member

India-Telugu
    The explanation given above in two cases are very clear. Thanks guys.. :)