1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

noun meaning "done naturally"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by susantash, May 1, 2006.

1. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    Dear all,

Until a few days ago I used to employ the word "naturality" quite often without even suspecting that it might not exist, but to my (word that collocates with surprise?) surprise the good old dictionary made me realize that it doesn´t!
    So, which word do you use to talk about something that is done naturally? :eek:

2. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    organic?

Can you provide some context or examples for us to consider? As is, the question is a bit vague as there are probably many possibilities.

3. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    By "done naturally" I mean that it's authentic. If a person acts in a natural way or speaks a language and sounds natural, he or she does it naturally, without looking artificial, or without pretending to be something (s)he's not.

4. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    In that context: authentic or genuine.

But a noun version... hmm. thinking

(with)
    authenticity
    frankness
    simplicity
    purity
    transparency
    substance

5. yojan Junior Member

London
    English - England
    Emm, I cant really think of a noun which can replace ''done naturally'' in the context you gave above however some adverbs I know are,

genuinely or unpretentiously?

6. nycphotography

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    Maybe: aplomb

7. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    I believe the word you are looking for is naturalness.

(As for an adjective to accompany "surprise," you could have said "to my utter surprise.")

8. bartonig Senior Member

UK English
    Flair

He has a flair for languages.

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    naturality (noun)
    The state of nature; the natural, inborn way of behaving; naturalness.

naturalness (noun)
    The quality of possessing the distinctive features of a naturally occurring object, landscape, etc.: the appearance of being unchanged or unspoilt by human intervention.

Lack of artificiality in conduct or bearing; unaffectedness.

A selection of definitions from the OED.

Naturality has been used for a long time, and is still used.
    1981 Daily Tel. 16 Dec. 12 The human voice sounds different from a loud-speaker, and thereby loses its naturality.

Well, OK, so the example is almost 25 years old, but that seems quite recent to me:eek:

10. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    Panjandrum, Are you sure that naturality is still in use?
    I mean, would you use it? Or better: do you use it?

11. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    It's not considered obsolete by either Dictionary.com or Webster's. I must admit it is not a word you hear often.

12. french4beth

french4beth Senior Member

Connecticut
    US-English
    How about 'spontaneity' or 'genuineness' or 'unpretentiousness' or 'ingenuousness' (as yojan mentioned above)?

13. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    I was only quoting the OED.
    I don't think I have ever heard, or seen, naturality until it appeared in this thread. If I'd had to think of a noun, I think I would have thought like Elroy - and gone for naturalness. It sounds more natural than naturality:D

14. nycphotography

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    I would have reworded the sentence to use an adjective or adverb rather than a noun and stuck the the original [perfect] words: "naturally" or "natural".

15. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    Thanks everyone!
    I think naturalness is the best option.
    I wanted to use that word in the context of language learners; I wanted to say that "naturalness" is very important; that is, to sound natural when you speak a foreign language. Is that sentence Ok?

16. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    It sounds perfectly OK to me:)

17. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Your sentence sounds perfectly Ok for me too, though I usually tell my students "speaking naturally is very imporatnt."

Mara.-

18. la reine victoria Senior Member

I was very surprised to learn that "naturality" is still in use, and that it even exists. I am of advanced years and have never heard of it before.:eek: I certainly wouldn't use it. As far as I know none of my friends would have heard of it either.

LRV

19. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Off topic, but...
    how about astonishment?;)

Back on topic: authenticity? it's not quite the same.

20. nycphotography

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    So much for sounding natural. ;-)

21. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    Well, I'm sure you can tell a native from a non native speaker, not because of their pronunciation, since some non native (including myself) can perfectly imitate all kinds of accents,but because of their choice of words. Certain words are bound to appear in certain contexts when natives speak or write, but the same does not always happen with non natives. So, sounding natural means not calling the attention because you're using words that a native wouldn't use in the same context.(I also include myself in the last group!:eek: ) (I don't sound natural)

22. la reine victoria Senior Member

Don't be harsh on yourself Susan.

You sound natural enough to me. :)

LRV

23. nycphotography

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    I wasn't being critical... I was just pointing out that using a word that most native speakers thought didn't exist will not have you sounding very natural.

Which is why I made my previous suggestion to use the adjective (natural) or adverb (naturally) forms... both of which sound more natural to native speakers.