1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Nous vous remercions d'avoir rempli cette fiche

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by sebcedre, Jul 1, 2013.

1. sebcedre New Member

Français
    Bonjour à tous,

Je travaille dans un hôtel et je dois traduire la phrase suivante pour un document : nous vous remercions d'avoir pris le temps de remplir cette fiche.

Je tente "We thank you for having filled in this form" mais je trouve que ça sonne bizarrement, et la notion du "temps pris" n'est pas retranscrite... "We thank you for taking time to fill in this form" ? Ou tout autre chose encore ? Je sèche...

Merci d'avance de m'aiguiller ! (et j'espère que ce premier post après des heures et des heures passées sur ce site sera bien reçu)

seb

2. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    Welcome to the Forum, Sebcedre!
    If this is to thank someone for having already filled out the form
    (which I think it is since you say "d'avoir pris le temps"),
    I would say:
    Thank you for having taken the time to fill out...

EDIT: Another possibility:
    We realize that your time is valuable, and we thank you for your feedback.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  3. sebcedre New Member

Français
    Thank you for the quick answer !

As it is a form with the client's name, adress.. I imagine your first sentence is more appropriate. Is it (more than) polite enough ? Or should I use something like "we thank you for having taken..."

4. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    Just to be sure I understand, is this to be used in a form letter that you send to guests
    who have stayed at the hotel and who have filled out a "comments" card?

5. Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    The French past infinitive (avoir pris) doesn't have to be a past infinitive in English, and in fact it sounds neater as a present infinitive in English.

Thank you for taking the time to fill out (probably preferred by AE speakers, or fill in - probably preferred by BE speakers) this form.

6. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    Very true!
    In fact, the beauty of "Thank you for taking the time to fill out/in..." is that it can be used in English
    to thank someone both before they fill something out/in and after they fill something out/in.

My suggestion of "We realize that your time is valuable, and we thank you for your feedback"
    can also be used this way (before and after).

7. sebcedre New Member

Français
    Thank you once again for answering. "Thank you for taking the time..." was one of my first try but I did not know that the past infinitive could be translated by a present infinitive. Sounds perfect !

To Language Hound : the form is used when clients arrive at the hotel only to have their adress, phone number , ID for foreigners etc...

Anyway, to both of you, I guess that your time is valuable, and I thank you for your feedback ! :)

8. Language Hound Senior Member

American English

9. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

To avoid the fill out/in dichotomy, you can simply say: Thank you for taking the time to complete this form, or even simpler: ...for giving us your feedback.