1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

now the most important thing is to keep praying

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by DavidB7, Jul 7, 2013.

1. DavidB7 Junior Member

Español Chile
    I need to translate this to Russian:

"I want. You want. But now the most important thing is to keep praying to understand what God wants"

Я хочу, Ты хотите. Теперь самое главное, чтобы продолжать молиться, чтобы понять, чего хочет Бог.

Is it correct?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. pqz Junior Member

Ukraine
    Russian, Ukrainian
    Я хочу. Ты хочешь. Но сейчас самое главное - продолжать молиться, чтобы понять, чего хочет Бог.

3. inerrant Junior Member

Moscow
    Russian
    I think it's better to add the pronoun:

Я хочу этого. Ты хочешь этого. Но сейчас важнее всего продолжать молиться, чтобы понять, чего хочет Бог.

And another variant (the analogue of the "Usted" form in Spanish):

Я хочу этого. Вы хотите этого. Но сейчас важнее всего продолжать молиться, чтобы понять, чего хочет Бог.

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Why is сейчас better than теперь here?

5. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    In neutral style теперь presumes 'now, after smth has happened'. But since nothing hapenned in the context, better use сейчас, i.e. simply 'now'.

As for the original sentence, I think the sense is that we all want different things, but the only important is to know what god wants.
    I'd also avoid the word продолжать, as 'keep' here means the continious action rather than the continued one:

Я хочу одного, ты - другого, но самое главное - (усердно) молиться, чтобы узнать, чего хочет бог.

But we can change the sense a bit, so as to use теперь:
    Я пожелал одного, ты пожелал другого, теперь надо молиться (помолимся), чтобы узнать, чего желает бог.

6. inerrant Junior Member

Moscow
    Russian
    In my opinion, сейчас is more neutral word. Теперь usually needs some context: something different was happening before, now it's over, and we have to start acting in some new circumstances. Yes, it's possible to say "теперь важнее всего продолжать (делать что-либо)", but anyway it means that the circumstances have changed. And сейчас doesn't have these connotations.

7. inerrant Junior Member

Moscow
    Russian
    Do they have one wish or different wishes?

8. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I understand this like them having different wishes, and 'you' meaning any human being, but maybe the topic starter can clarify the issue?

9. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    We obviously cannot know unless David tells us what he meant, why he meant that, what was the surrounding context, was there one, what is the intent of the message, is the message polemic or just informational, is it generic or specific to a certain occasion, and so on.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  10. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    And whether there is life on Mars...

11. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    How is it relevant?

You see: the clumsy – in the case some action is going on – expression «важнее всего», as well as the clumsy – in any case – verb «продолжать», are probably not needed here, but we cannot know for sure. Maybe these words are the central point of David's phrase – in the case, of course, that the expression is not polemic and specific; most likely they are not, but we don't know.

For example: «Я хочу. Ты хочешь. А теперь — молись покрепче, чтобы узнать, чего хочет Бог». Much shorter. Maybe fits the meaning, maybe not.
    Otherwise: «Я хочу. Ты хочешь. А теперь крепче молись Богу, чтобы узнать, чего хочет он». Again, much shorter; maybe fine, maybe not.

Edit: in the case he's writing that to the above-mentioned girl, the second part could look like «Но сейчас важнее всего молиться усердно Господу, чтобы узнать, чего хочет он», and the first part sounds bad in any possible translation.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  12. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    Thank you!
    I understand that теперь should be translated as "[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]and now". [/FONT]

13. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    No way. Sorry for my joke.

14. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    I'm not sure about exact English equivalent, I think it strongly depends on the context.