Now why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by PhudE, Oct 17, 2007.

1. PhudE New Member

Luton, England, English
    "Now why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box?"

What does this mean please?

2. Joobs Banned

In a house
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    Is it some allusion to a magician pulling a rabbit from the box? If so, then I'd think it means something like:

"Very clever, now why couldn't you put it back as it was."

To be meant as sarcasm I would venture.

3. PhudE New Member

Luton, England, English
    I see what you mean, it is off the film "Con Air"
    but I just wondered what it meant. thank you.

4. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    PhudE, this is an explanation I found here:

[Nicholas Cage's] goodness ... is symbolized by the little stuffed rabbit he is bringing home for his daughter’s birthday when he is finally paroled. Thus he is given what is meant to be a funny line when he kills one of the superbaddies who had taunted him with the stuffed rabbit and refused to put it back in his box of possessions. Addressing the [bad man's] dead body he says: “Why couldn’t you put the bunny back in the box?”

In other words, Cage is telling the (dead) bad man that if he had put the bunny into the box, Cage would not have killed him. It's supposed to be a funny line because everybody knows that this is not the real reason Cage killed him.

5. Joobs Banned

In a house
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    That film was on the other night and even though I watched it I didn't recall the line. Isn't context everything. :)

6. PhudE New Member

Luton, England, English
    thanks i realised that. it's just when i looked it up, i found something about bunnys being given for easter gifts in boxes and thought he was playing on that?

7. PhudE New Member

Luton, England, English
    seems to me that it means you broke it why can't you fix it?

8. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I tend to think that the bunny meant a lot to the character (if you watch the movie until the end, you will see that he almost risks his life to save that bunny, a gift to his daughter, a daughter that he has never met, because he was in jail)

And I think the character (Nicholas Cage) was really pissed when some "bad guy" touched that bunny.