Nu au nimic de făcut

Discussion in 'Română (Romanian)' started by Melikhovo, May 12, 2013.

1. Melikhovo Senior Member

American English
    Hi all,
    I am brand new to the Romanian language and had a basic question regarding words that may be omitted in speech.
    In the following sentences, are the words "this" and "it" omitted? And if so, does this occur very often in Romanian?

pot s
    ă o fac (I can't do this).
    Nu imi place (I don't like it)

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  2. farscape mod-errare humanum est

Ottawa, Canada
    Hello and welcome to the Romanian forum on WordReference forums,

If you have not done it yet please check out the forum sticky for references and resources. I recommend Dana Cojocaru's book on Romanian language grammar, written in English, as the best Internet resource on the subject. As a side note, what's the connection between the title of your post and the rest of the context?

Now to the point... there are significant differences between English and Romanian such that direct translations from one language to another can be at times misleading if not outright impossible. The two sentences you provided are very good examples :)

Nu pot să o fac (I can't do this). Simplifying (but not much) the "o" - direct object fem. sing.- in să o fac plays the role of this in the English version. Since the sentence is taken out of context, I can't tell you if it's indeed the right translation for the English sentence. A more generic form would be Nu pot să fac asta, where asta (in this case) is the direct equivalent of the English this.

Nu îmi place (I don't like it) -> In certain instances you are right, we can omit the "it" .

Te rog mai ia/serveşte pizza (Please have some more pizza)
    Nu îmi place... (I don't like it) It is implicitly expected that the first speaker understands that the second speaker talks about the pizza w/o mentioning it.

Here is an example in English, resembling the Romanian form, where the direct object is missing:

Did you read this book?
    No, I haven't.

However, in the next case - a statement - we can't get away w/o specifying what we don't like :
    Nu îmi place (mâncarea) asta (I don't like this (dish)), where asta is a demonstrative pronominal adjective of proximity, colloquial form for aceasta.

Breath, it only gets... better from here :)

And remember, we love diacritical marks ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2013