Number of Minutes Equal to the Number of Hours

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by 123xyz, Feb 1, 2014.

1. 123xyz

123xyz Senior Member

Skopje, Macedonia
    In your language (including English), do you have a term for periods of time (minutes) where the number of minutes is the same as the number of the hour, e.g. 12:12 or 21:21? If so, what is it? In Macedonian, it is "цагер", which appears to be a German loanword, though I haven't figured out what the original German etymon is.
  2. CapnPrep Senior Member

That's a new one to me! :) But I found this other discussion site where someone says that цагер means the time when the two hands of a clock meet each other (i.e. at 12:00, then approximately 1:05, 2:10, 3:16, and so on). Do you think this is also a valid use of цагер?
  3. 123xyz

123xyz Senior Member

Skopje, Macedonia
    Based on that discussion, it appears that English indeed lacks a term for this phenomenon, as I had suspected. Either way, I do think that the time when the two clock hands are superimposed may be designated as "цагер" as well and I suppose that this is the original meaning, whereas the latter meaning, i.e. the time when the number of minutes and the number of the hour are the same, came later, with the appearance of digital clocks. This naturally derives from what is conspicuous on which type of clock. When you look at 21:21 (same numbers) on a regular non-digital clock, nothing special can be observed. Likewise, when you look at 21:45 on a digital clock (arrows overlapping), nothing appears striking. Hence, "цагер" has two meaning depending on the type of clock in question.

P.S. I have looked up different discussions on the Internet pertinent to this phenomenon, and most of them seem to refer to the overlapping of numbers, but one does mention the overlapping of clock hands.
  4. francisgranada Senior Member

It's really interesting. Can you give us a practical example for the usage of this цагер?

For example:
    - What is time now?
    - It's exactly цагер :D ...

Probably from Zeiger - clock hand (from zeigen - to show)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. arielipi Senior Member

In hebrew we have that though its not really a thing, more like common knowledge that a combination of words mean that; sadly i cant recall the combination.