1. SeaLatino New Member

USA, Spanish
    Is there a Spanish word for the # key found on a telephone?

I would say it's called "tecla de número" Any thoughts? Thanks!
  2. sayah Senior Member

Lawrence, KS
    Spain. Spanish

The name of the key # is: almohadilla.

3. david13

david13 Senior Member

USA - US English
    Hi SeaLatino, According to a reference in Wikipedia, Spanish words for the number sign or hash mark are "numeral, cardinal, cuadradillo, almohadilla ("cushion"), michi, gato, tatetí (the last three meaning "tic-tac-toe")." I don't find any of these words defined in this way in the RAE, however. Sorry I could not be of more help.
  4. ERASMO_GALENO Senior Member

Lima limón
    Perú, Español
    Here in Perú we use tecla numeral or tecla michi. And numeral does appear in the DRAE.

5. david13

david13 Senior Member

USA - US English
    Thank you, Erasmo, for your response. Actually, I remember almohadilla (thanks, Saya!) As I thought "tecla numeral" referred to any key 1 through 0, I thank you for the correction! :) In any case, I didn't mean to suggest that numeral did not appear in the DRAE, only that its definition, " adj. Perteneciente o relativo al número." does not include the noun that SeaLatino was seeking. Is "signo numeral" ever used for this? Saludos,

6. SDLX Master

SDLX Master Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Spanish - Peru
    Here in Peru we call it "michi".
  7. SeaLatino New Member

USA, Spanish
    All very helpful. Gracias!
  8. susantrek Junior Member

Spain (Spanish)

...which is how we call the TicTacToe game. ;)

By the way, what is the English word? Pound key or hash? Are they equivalent?
  9. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    I have heard it called pound key (that's the word I use) but have never heard hash in that context. Could you mean hatch?
  10. susantrek Junior Member

Spain (Spanish)
    I´ve actually seen both on the Internet (hash/hatch key). Could one be British and the other American?
  11. david13

david13 Senior Member

USA - US English
    On a keyboard in the U.S. it's the pound key or the number key. I have never heard it called the hash key and it's got nothing at all to do with "hatch". A propósito el "#" no representa la unidad de dinero britanico "pound" sino la unidad de peso. Saludos.
  12. HeiShan

HeiShan New Member

London, Notting Hill
    United Kingdom, English
    The pattern is a crosshatch, which is why it's sometimes called the hatch key.
  13. knudder Junior Member

In Argentina we call it "numeral".