Nut cluster, snack dip

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by bronsy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. bronsy Junior Member

U.S. English
    Hello,

I'm trying to translate into Spanish:

Nut cluster

(usually a sticky ball of nuts held together by honey or sugar)

and

Snack dip

(a general term, like the ranch dip or sour cream that you put on chips to add flavor)

Thanks!

2. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Food terms are notoriously difficult to translate, because often the food does not exist or is not well known in other cultures. I think that may apply here, and it is often best to leave the term in its original form and add an explanation as necessary, rather than force a translation. Nut cluster appears on the web as "...las Golden Nut Cluster, con nueces y leche condensada," for example.

Dip in general is salsa, but that won't convey the exact idea you have. The dictionary gives this: salsa en la que se mojan diferentes bocaditos (en una fiesta etc.).

If you give us the exact context, we might be able to provide more help.

3. bronsy Junior Member

U.S. English
    Hey Gengo, thanks for your great reply!

I'm translating it for a class of trademarks, and there isn't a whole lot of context, but here are the other food terms:

“nut-based snack foods, namely clusters; nut-based snack foods; snack dips; yogurt; yogurt drinks; yogurt based beverages”

Thanks!

4. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Maybe you could say:

alimentos que contienen nueces, especificamente dulces con nueces; bocaditos que contienen nueces; salsas para bocaditos; ...

Let's see what a native says.

5. a10666

a10666 Senior Member

Missouri
    English - Missouri
    Natives say nada. :(
    Darn. I'm trying to translate a recipe for "Apple Pie Snack Dip".

6. gengo

gengo Senior Member

I'm a native English speaker, but that noun string means nothing to me, and actually sounds rather unappealing.

7. a10666

a10666 Senior Member

Missouri
    English - Missouri
    Yeah, sounds disgusting to me too. It's some sweet dip made of apples. It could be called simply "Apple dip". It doesn't have to be word for word.
    "dip de manzanas", perhaps?

8. gengo

gengo Senior Member

Maybe something like salsa con sabor de pastel de manzana. That would convey the idea that the dip has the spices of apple pie, and is not just mushy apples. Again, let's wait for a native to check in.

But, what in the world would you dip into such a thing? Crackers with apple pie dip? Uggh.

9. a10666

a10666 Senior Member

Missouri
    English - Missouri
    tortillas with cinnamon sugar.. according to this receta.