1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. balibamba Junior Member

Marseille, France
    France - french
    Hi everyone!
    As in a French cover letter, is it a good idea to wirte "Object: blablabla" at the beginning of the letter?
    Thank you!

2. DrD

DrD Senior Member

Cantal, France
    England English
    Hi balibamba,

The way to do it in English is to put your salutation (Dear Sir/Madam or Dear Mr X) then leave a clear line space then put (in bold type) Re: Blah Blah Blah then again leave a clear line space and then start your letter.

I hope that makes sense!

3. Gutenberg

Gutenberg Senior Member

Province de Québec, Canada
    français international
    Objet : = Re:

4. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    But isn't Re: something you will use when you answer a letter? If you write a firm for the first time, as when you apply for a job, will you still include Re:?

5. balibamba Junior Member

Marseille, France
    France - french
    Ok thans a lot, what does RE mean (what's the entire word?)?

6. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Re is the entire word -- it's the ablative form of Latin rēs -- "thing".

The full expression (now only used in legal documents) is in re:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  7. balibamba Junior Member

Marseille, France
    France - french
    I agree with you Moon palace because I wrote a cover letter in English last year to answer an ad and I wrote "Re",
    is "Object" an incorrect word here?

8. balibamba Junior Member

Marseille, France
    France - french
    Ok,thanks wildan, shame on me! I used to study Latin before ;-)

9. wildan1

No, not really.

If you want to put something else, you could put "Subject: ____"

But honestly, we don't do that in letters as a general practice. We just start the letter and summarize the subject in the first paragraph.

10. DrD

DrD Senior Member

Cantal, France
    England English
    We never use the word object in letters and in fact I think it would be incorrect as really what you are talking about in English is the subject of the letter (think of e-mails having a subject line). However, in formal correspondence it is always Re: placed exactly as I said in my last e-mail.

Moon Palace, I suspect it's the e-mail subject line that makes you think it's only when you're replying, but no in business correspondence it is used even if you are not writing in response to a letter or advert, it is the equivalent of 'Subject' on the e-mail if you like.

In recent years some companies have taken to using nothing - so you have Dear Sir/Madam, then a space, then blah blah blah without the 'Re', but most people still use it and I think it is better.

But thanks to wildan1 - I never actually knew why we used it before. You learn something new every day :)

11. DrD

DrD Senior Member

Cantal, France
    England English
    Sorry, cross-posting. Just to clarify, in British English it is not absolutely necessary to put the Re:, but it is normal practice and in very formal letters such as applications, I would definitely recommend it. So I guess it depends where you are sending your cover letter...

12. balibamba Junior Member

Marseille, France
    France - french
    Okay! Thanks again for your advice ;-) As it is a very formal letter (application) I agree with you DrD to write the Re: line !
    Bye!

13. wildan1

Yes, I agree. I have noticed this practice in British correspondence of putting a subject line in between the salutation and body of the letter. It is unusual to see it in the US.

So you can choose your style according to your audience, balibamba