Occitan influence on Portuguese

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by killerbee256, Nov 19, 2013.

1. killerbee256 Senior Member

American English
    Some time ago I read that Portuguese was standardized with influences from Occitan, which at the time was very popular due to traveling minstrels from that region preforming in that language. How much of this was the case? It would seem to explain some of the similar features Portuguese shares with Catalan, for examples the word bom vs Spanish beuno and Italian buono, given those forms I would expect Portuguese to have bono due to it's overall similarities with castilian yet lack of diphthongs. Yet in this case and others Portuguese drops the final consonant like in Gallo-romance, which seems unusual. But I'm nothing more then an amateur at linguistics, so I'm asking here.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Cossue

Cossue Junior Member

Galiza
    Galician & Spanish
    The linguistic influence of Occitan on Portuguese (and on Galician :)) was certainly linked to the Occitan medieval lyrics and its influence over the Galician-Portuguese medieval lyric; and maybe also due to the fact of the royal families of Portugal and (Galicia and) León descended from two Burgundians counts, Henry and Raymond, who were rewarded respectively with the governments of Portugal and Galicia in the later years of the 11th century, marrying two of the daughters of king Afonso VI of León, and so originating the aforementioned royal families.

Anyway, as long as I know the linguistic influence of Occitan was mostly limited to vocabulary, and much of it is today old-fashioned. What you read probably referred to the spelling impulsed by the royal chancellery of Portugal: the palatal nasal and the palatal lateral, which in Galician are usually represented by ñ and ll following Castilian spelling, are represented in Portuguese since the last years of the 13th century by the Occitan-like spellings nh and lh. In contrast, Galician used in the 13th-16th centuries a series of non standardized spelling: ñ, ni, gn, n, nh for the palatal nasal, and l, ll, li, lh for the lateral.

On the word bom, Galician bo (dialectal bon), they both derive of medieval bõo < Vulgar Latin bonu (õ is a nasalized o). In Portuguese and in some Galician dialects bõo > bõ regenerated a nasal at the end of the word (cf. Clarinda de Azevedo Maria, Historia do Galego-Português, p. 611).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  3. Cossue

Cossue Junior Member

Galiza
    Galician & Spanish
    I mean, while Catalan loss the final vowel:
    VL bonu > Catalan bon,
    Galician-Portuguese loss intervocalic -n- (and comparing to Spanish, also -l- and -d-):
    VL bonu > G-P bõo, later > Portuguese bom / Galician bo / dialectal Galician bon.

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    How is the dialectal "bon" pronounced?

5. Cossue

Cossue Junior Member

Galiza
    Galician & Spanish
    ['bõŋ] vs. standard ['bo]