Odd fit

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rafeo, Jan 12, 2010.

1. rafeo Junior Member

Spanish
    Dear friends:

Could anybody explain me the meaning of "odd fit", expressed in the following text?:

"In a continent crowded with charismatic populists and noisy autocrats, Mr. xxx yyy is an odd fit".

Thanks a lot,

rafeo

2. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Hello rafeo,

More background and context would be useful. Without it I will speculate that the author is telling the reader that Mr. xxx yyy is unlike other politicians; he is neither a noisy autocrat nor a charismatic populist.

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    'Fit' can be used as a noun, "something that fits (well)": This shoe is a good fit to/for my foot. It's not normally used of people: if someone fits well into a group, we don't usually say they're a good fit. But in this example, the writer is doing that - Mr xxx yyy doesn't fit well in the group; he fits oddly.

4. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    We may have an AE<>BE difference here. It is not uncommon in AE for a person to be described as a good fit with either a group of people or with a set of circumstances, such as a job or project. Here is an example:

14 minutes, 59 seconds & ticking: "'Joe the Plumber' to Appear on ...

13 posts - 11 authors - Last post: Dec 29, 2009
    Response to Original message. 6. He's paid with talking points ready. He's a good fit with Palin & Mcain. Another liar. n/t ...

5. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    It is indeed a familiar expression in AE.

The instance we are discussing, for instance, was originally published in the mainstream American magazine Newsweek (Dec. 11, 2009). It is about Álvaro Uribe, the president of Columbia. The sentence that follows explains some of what makes him an 'odd fit':
    Smallish, bespectacled, and poker-faced, the Colombian president is not given to windy speeches or fist-shaking.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010