Offer of help

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by tarinoidenkertoja, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tarinoidenkertoja Senior Member

bologna,italy
    Italian
    I was wondering, how to say in Hungarian "offer of help". I've found both ajánlat and kinálat as translations for "offer".
    I wanted to say "Actually,I want to accept your offer of help with Hungarian", my attempt " Váloban,szeretnem elfogadni az segítséget ajánlatodat(?) a magyar nyelv tánulásában ( or simply a magyar nyelvvel?)"

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  2. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Valóban,/Igazából (1) szeretném elfogadni/el szeretném fogadni (2) a felajánlott segítségedet/segítségét (3) ajánlatodat/ajánlatát (a magyartanuláshoz 4).

1. This "actually" cannot be translated properly without a context. (And without a context the best is if nothing is put there.)

2. Your version (the first) is OK but you expect a "but" after that (that'll explain why you won't accept it after all), so I'd suggest rather mine (after the slash)

3. Here comes the complication: offer to help = felajánlott segítség (as one possibility) which - in this sentence - could be replaced by ajánlat. If you use this, you don't even have to bother about the rest (= magyartanulás) because "the offer" already expresses the offer in all its details.
    There is another issue: the "you". Is it the informal or the formal "you" you need here? You used the informal one but I gave the formal possibilities, too, just in case.
    There is an impersonal way as well: el szeretném fogadni a felajánlott segítséget/ az ajánlatot (still with the two ways).

4. It can be left out.

3. tarinoidenkertoja Senior Member

bologna,italy
    Italian
    Köszönöm a segítséget
    1.The context in this case is that I've received a (vague) offer of help with Hungarian and I wanted to reply with something like " (You know), actually , I would like to accept your offer of help"
    2.If I understood you correctly,I would use "igazából" only in the case I'm not going to accept it?
    4.I know that I'm asking too much in a single thread, but being a beginner, new questions pop out in my mind on every occasion, the allative in "magyartanuláshoz" is required due to ajánlat or due to segítség? (In other words,is it correct to say "Segítek neked a magyar nyelvből or a magyar nyelvtanulásban" as in " I help you with Hungarian"?

4. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    How would you say in Italian your phrase in question?
    (maybe it could help us to find a better word for "actually")

5. tarinoidenkertoja Senior Member

bologna,italy
    Italian
    The closest natural translation to the English equivalent would be : "Guarda,a dire il vero, vorrei accettare la tua offerta "

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  6. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  7. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Alcune possibilità:
    Őszintén szólva, el szeretném fogadni az ajántalodat.
    Őszintén szólva, szívesen elfogadnám az ajántalodat.
    Nézd, az igazat megvallva, szívesen elfogadnám az ajánlatodat.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012