Offer (to)?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by star-a-d, Jan 17, 2013.

1. star-a-d New Member

Polish
    Hello,

I'd like to know whether saying 'offer to someone' is correct or whether the only correct form is 'offer someone'? E.g.:

'The job you offered to me.'

or

'The job you offered me.'

Is it perhaps the same situation as with 'help do sth' vs. 'help to do sth'?

Thanks!

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    It is not a question of to offer, it is a question of expressing the indirect object of a sentence.

Your example is inverted, so in the normal order it will be, "you offered the job to me," Subject- Verb -Object - Indirect Object - S-V-O-IO

But it is also possible to say, "y
    ou offered me the job.", which is S-V-IO-O, note when the IO is the third element, the 'to' is not required.

I assume that in Polish, the object and indirect object are expressed in the accusative and dative cases respectively.

To and for are used with the indirect object but need not always be there; it depends on the word order.

He gives the hammer to him - him is the indirect object but needs to
    He gives him the hammer - him is the indirect object but does not need to

See also the use of for to show the indirect object:

I baked her a cake -
    S-V-IO-O
    I baked a cake for her -
    S-V-O-IO

3. star-a-d New Member

Polish
    Hi PaulQ,

Thank you for you response.

Just to clarify, you said when the IO is the third element, the 'to' is not required. If I used 'to' in such sentence, would it make it incorrect?

4. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    I think it would. At the very least, it would sound strange and old-fashioned; about 400 years out of date.

"He gives to him the hammer." ​- No.