Offering me the chance to be interviewed

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by AABG, Apr 17, 2012.

1. AABG Junior Member

Sheffield, UK
    français - France
    Hi everyone,

I need to write back to confirm my attendance to a university interview and, well, I really want my response to be perfect as the recipient will be the one interviewing me.
    I'm especially struggling with the words in bold letters - but if anything else sounds awkward or wrong, feel free to modify it!

Dear X,

Thank you very much for offering me the chance to be interviewed on May 8th for the French with German PGCE interview at the University of X.

I confirm my attendance to the interview and look forward to it.

Apart from my passport and a photocopy of it, do I need to bring any other documents to the interview?

Thank you very much again.

Yours sincerely,
    X

2. misterk Moderator

Boston
    English-American
    It sounds awkward in English (and in French, too, I suspect) to say, "Thank you...for offering me the chance to be interviewed...for the... interview."

Your choices are either:
    "Thank you...for the opportunity to interview for the programme/for the position/for the scholarship/etc."
    or
    "Thank you...for the opportunity to participate in the...interview."
    (The first is probably the better choice.)

Also note: in English, one does not "attend to" an interview. One attends an interview, or participates in an interview. In your case, the simplest solution would be: "I am planning to attend the interview, and I am looking forward to it (or: to our meeting, to our conversation).

3. AABG Junior Member

Sheffield, UK
    français - France
    Thank you very much, misterk.
    Is this better now?

Dear X,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to interview for the French with German PGCE course.

I can confirm that I will be attending the interview scheduled on May 8th at 11am and I am looking forward to it.

Apart from my passport and a photocopy of it, do I need to bring any other documents to the interview?

Thank you very much again.

Yours sincerely,
    X

I'm a little confused with "to interview"; doesn't it sound like I will be interviewing him? Shouldn't it be "to be interviewed" instead?

Thanks a lot,
    AABG

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  4. misterk Moderator

Boston
    English-American
    You should wait for a native Brit to confirm usage in the UK. In AE, if one is a candidate for a position, one would say, for example:
    I see they've posted a new job in Paris. I'd love to interview for that position. I'm sure I'd be very good at it.
    You shouldn't interview for any job before you've done a lot of research on the company.

By contrast, the person who is doing the hiring and leading the interview will always interview + direct object pronoun.
    I'm going to be interviewing him at 2:00, and then I'm interviewing her at 3:00.

In common use, we use "interview" as a noun. Thus:
    I can meet you for the interview tomorrow at 2:00.
    Shall we do the interview in my office or in yours?
    I've scheduled her interview for next Thursday afternoon.

5. AABG Junior Member

Sheffield, UK
    français - France
    Thank you, misterk.
    Can someone confirm this usage of "to interview for"? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012