oficial maior

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Porteño, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Good morning, Brazil! Bom dia Brasil!

I am in the process of translating a birth certificate registered in São Paulo and at the top it lists the officials of the Registry. The first, 'escrivão' I know to be 'notary', but I have no idea what the second, 'oficial maior' means in English. Could somebody give me a hand here, please? Thanks.:) I know it's practically another question, but the first person mentioned above has 'BEL.' before the name. I would like to know what that means, too.

2. coolbrowne Senior Member

Bethesda, MD - USA
    Português-BR/English-US bilingual
    Hi Porteño

The easiest one first: Bel = Bacharel is the correct title for a lawyer (or any other University graduate) that doesn't hold a doctorate. Never mind that, hehe. In general they all affect the title of "doutor", to the annoyance of those who do hold a doctorate. In any event, you may omit it or use
    Bel Fulano de Tal - Fulano de Tal, L.L.B.
    Next, escrivão is "scribe", maybe better "sworn scribe", because in that term "escrivão juramentado" is implied (Incidentally, notary is tabelião)
    Finally, the meaning of "oficial maior" in English would be "high/top level notarial official". Translation is another matter. It's been a while since I did one of these, but I believe I used "main registry official". To be clear, it doesn't mean anything really, as is to be expected, because those positions do not exist around here. It was just a way to fill the gap.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  3. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Yes, you're right. The Latin Americans are very adept at creating 'titles' to emphasize their relative 'unimportance'!:)

4. Guigo

Guigo Senior Member

Rio de Janeiro
    Português (Brasil)
    C'mon... what about those British "titles" like:

Hon. John Smith, KBE, VC, CSA, BOAC, WTF, LOL, SOB. :D

5. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    British titles, as you call them, or letters after a name do not indicate a person's importance or position, generally indicating honours granted or educational or professional qualifications earned, e.g. M.B.E. (Member of the British Empire), O.B.E. (Order of the British Empire), being of the first kind and B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science), PhD. (Doctor of Philosophy), F.C.A.(Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales), etc., of the second. The Hon., The Rt. Hon., etc. are merely more decorative titles given to Judges, MPs and the like as a form of address and do not indicate any position. The others you quote, such as CSA ?), BOAC (British Overseas Airways), WTF (? what the f--k), LOL (Lots of love), SOB (tongue in cheek!) hardly qualify as titles, being in the main acronyms. :)

6. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Antes de deletar os comentários off-topic, gostaria de saber se estamos saindo do tópico.:rolleyes:

7. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I believe we're treading a very thin line! But, nevertheless I think it's relevant to the context.:)