1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. xxxfilólogaxxx Junior Member

español
    Hello everybody!
    Does anybody know how I could say "Tengo los ojos pardos"? It means that my eyes are green and brown.
    Thanks.

2. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
  3. xxxfilólogaxxx Junior Member

español
    Thank you. I was confused because in Spain we say "ojos colos avellana" or "ojos color miel" to light brown eyes. Avellana is "hazelnut" and that's why I thought that "hazel eyes" wasn't what I was looking for. So, It seems that we have the same name in both languages to point at different colours. Do you think I'm right?

4. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    La traducción exacta de "ojos pardos" sería, efectivamente, "light brown eyes".
    "Hazel" implica una mezcla con matices verdosos, para mi gusto

5. xxxfilólogaxxx Junior Member

español
    Aztlanianio, my eyes are "pardos" in Spanish and they are brown and green. Moreover, in my opinion "Light brown eyes" would be "ojos marrón claro" or "ojos color miel".

6. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    I don't think Sp. and Eng. have the same clear cut for eye colors. Mine, in Spanish, (according to my ID, which is from the time of black and white pictures) says 'verdoso'. I cannot imagine an English description as 'greenish'.

Hazel has some connotation of including more colors than brown/honey/light brown/, possibly green or some blue. Mmm, no, more likely, brownish greenish.

Saludos