OK, I´ll listen to you but, please be short [Australian accent?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Girasoles, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Girasoles Junior Member

Canarias, Spain
    How can I say "OK, I´ll listen to you but, please be short" with Australian accent? I´m going to write the sentence and it´s for a joke. People must notice that this sentence is said by an australian person. Thanks a lot

2. benjaminady New Member

United States, English
    hey. wow. that´s hard. my wife is australian. It´s difficult to indicate accent in such a short phrase. I mean you´d want to go with rural australian, preferably uneducated, and then they wouldn´t even say it that way at all. good luck.

3. tilywinn Senior Member

Australia
    Australia, English
    Yeah this sentence doesn’t seem to have any stereotypical Australian words in (not that it has to). Perhaps someone who knows phonetics may be more useful but here’s my attempt at spelling the sounds ;)

OhKaay*, I’ll* lissen t’ you bahrt*, pleeze be short.

*Things is bold are stressed
    *Sometimes the ‘Oh’ bit is dropped just out of laziness. I know I drop the ‘oh’ from ‘okay’ frequently.
    *I’ll - sounds a bit like ‘aisle’.It also sounds close to 'ol' like in 'old' (but with more of an 'i' sound). Hold the ‘i’ sound at the beginning and then quickly cut off with the ‘ll’ sound.
    *Bahrt – don’t really pronounce the ‘r’ sound, there’s just a slight hint of it in a thick accent.

I would probably be more likely to say:
    “Ok, I’ll hear you out, but make it quick.”
    Or; “Ok, I’m listening, but could you make it quick?”

Can you write the whole joke? You may get a better answer then.

4. Q-cumber

Q-cumber Senior Member

A bit on the side
    Russia/Russian
    ...make it bloody quick, heh? :)

5. Girasoles Junior Member

Canarias, Spain
    Well...
    I don´t need the phonetic. Just, one or two words... maybe a pet word. I´m going to write the sentence. However, people should feel that this sentence is said by an Australian person.
    This is the sentence:
    "OK, I´ll listen to you but, please be short".
    I could give you some examples but, spanish examples. People from Canary Islands have different pet words than people from the Spanish Mainland. You know what´s mean? You can notice very well the differences in their speaking and informal writting.
    Thanks

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi Girasoles.
    You very specifically asked for people to tell you how to say this with an Australian accent.
    That means you are asking how to pronounce the exact words that you gave as the sentence,
    OK, I´ll listen to you but, please be short.
    ... as an Australian would pronounce them.

In your most recent post you have said, "I don't need the phonetic."
    That directly contradicts your first post.

What are you asking us?

On reflection, and taking into account very helpful PM comments, it is clear that Girasoles is looking for a typically Australian way of expressing this meaning:
    OK, I´ll listen to you but, please be short.

Replies that address the whole response are welcome - thread re-opened :)

7. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

I'm American, not Australian, so please keep that in mind. The "pet word" for me to indicate "Australian" is "mate." Beyond that I'm not much help.

8. cycloneviv

cycloneviv Senior Member

Perth, Western Australia
    English - Australia
    The other problem is that Australia is a very big country (as big as mainland USA) and we don't all speak the same way!

I, for example, don't speak in the same way or use the same terminology as the late Steve Irwin did.

Oh, and another thing: most of us rarely say "mate", or "cobber", or "chuck another prawn on the barbie"! :D

If you're looking to say the same thing using more typically Australian speech-patterns, my suggestion is:

"All right, I'll listen, but keep it short."

If you want to say it in a stereotypical "Australian" way, that you think non-Australians would recognise, you'd obviously need to ham it up:

"Awrigh', mate! I'll listen, but you better keep it bloody short!"

9. Girasoles Junior Member

Canarias, Spain
    Awrigh´, mate!...
    That´s it. I was looking for something like this.
    Thanks a lot.