1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Októberében

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by sesperxes, Apr 23, 2013.

1. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    Hello once again!

In the same text about cars parked in the street, the owner declares (and police writes):

Szervízben Budánál volt a gépkocsi, 2012. októberében.

That "é" is a possesive related to 2012 and, therefore, we're saying "...in october OF 2012"?

Thanks again

2. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
    Yes, exactly.
    -- Olivier

3. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    I've always been against it and I still couldn't get used to it, but according to the "new" (they have been in effect for more than 10 years) rules "szerviz" is the correct version.

4. sesperxes

sesperxes Senior Member

Burgos (Spain)
    Spanish-Spain
    "Szervíz" (with Í) is the "wrong" version of "szerviz" (with I) ?

5. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    I hate to say that and I don't see the point why it was changed but yes. I also learned that "szervíz" is the correct one, before the new rules came out.
    Let others confirm this, there might be even newer rules that reversed this back to "normal" or allow both usages.

6. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I can only confirm the short "i" with my Helyesírási Szabályzat dated 1994.

7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    The spelling is no problem, you can check it in the manual, BUT, how do you guys pronounce it? To be honest, I haven't used that word in Hungarian for ages, so I am not sure what I'd say.... but I think I'd say szerviz....(but I think the shortening is rather the influence of my dialect könyvit < könyvét :D)

8. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    I clearly say szervíz. That's why I hate that I have to write szerviz. On the other hand, I say szervizelni.

9. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I would say it with a long i, too but it wouldn't be the first time that the spelling differs from the pronunciation. (See my latest surprise with avítt - that I only heard pronounced with a short i.) However, it is the topic for another thread so let us not OT about it! ;)