Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by ChouChou11, Nov 19, 2013.

1. ChouChou11 New Member

Sentence: “Bu çok korkunç Bayan Humphries. Peki eşiniz de Lorna’nın kaçırılmış olabileceğini mi düşünüyor?”
    Translation: “That is terrible, Mrs. Humphries. Does Mr. Humphries, too, think Lorna has been kidnapped?”

I'm having trouble with olabileceğini. To my beginner eyes, it seems the sentence would be able to function without it.
    'eşiniz de Lorna’nın kaçırılmış mi düşünüyor'
    -> Your husband also thinks that she was kidnapped?

I would appreciate any help.
  2. Melaike

Melaike Junior Member

''Eşiniz de Lorna'nın kaçırıldığını mı düşünüyor'' or ''Eşiniz de Lorna kaçırılmış diye mi düşünüyor'' ; These versions could be correct too
  3. Reverence Senior Member

You may drop the "that" in English, but doing so in a Turkish sentence would break it.

By the way, the literal translation of "Does she, too, think Lorna has been kidnapped" would be, "Eşiniz de Lorna'nın kaçırıldığını mı düşünüyor". "Eşiniz de Lorna'nın kaçırılmış olabileceğini mi düşünüyor" can be translated as, "Does she, too, think Lorna may have been kidnapped".
  4. ChouChou11 New Member

Thank you for your explanations. I am only left with one question. In the construction "kaçırılmış olabileceğini" there is a suffix indicating the past 'mış' and one indicating the future 'eceğ' or 'ecek', which does not make sense to me. It seems the translation Reverence proposes 'may have been kidnapped' could be achieved by putting 'kaçırılmış olabildiğini' (the present participle, if I conjugated that correctly). What is the meaning of the future participle, or suffixing 'ecek' here?
  5. Reverence Senior Member

"Kaçırılmış olabildiğini" makes just as much sense here as "might have been kidnapped" (read: pretty much nothing) and isn't used. You're already using "kaçırılmış"; there's no need to inflect the second word in past tense as well.