1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

omitting です?

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by ihitokage, Sep 4, 2013.

1. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    もうひとつの質問。

Is it possible to omit です? I know it is like "to be" but does it make sense if I for example say: 私は人影
    I don't mean if it's understandable but if you can use it in causal situations and won't sound strange.

ありがとう

2. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    This doesn't sound strange at all. This way makes your statement poetic.

Do you know the famous Soviet-call sign 'Я чайка' by Valentina Tereshkova? This was introduced for the first time in Japan as 「私はカモメ」. See this is poetic. If she says 「私はカモメです」, which sounds more declarative because of です?This sounds a bit that Valentina has become a seagull in space after getting off from her spacecraft, if I speak jokingly.

Note that I'm talking about 私はxx。vs 私はxxです。only.

3. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    ありがとう

And can I use it in normal dialogue for example when introducing? Or even about things, not just like 私はxx。

4. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    です is usually added to sound softer, more formal, etc. You can speak without adding だ or です at the end. You'd sound probably more informal or even poetic as Frequency said. For example: 息子は犬が好き. 田中が静かな人, etc.

Well, です is just a copula which makes things sound more formal. It's neither a verb nor does it mean to be, so of course you can omit it. :D

5. ihitokage

ihitokage Senior Member

Czech
    Yea my sensei always told me not to think about です as a verb.
    本当にありがとう

6. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    In normal dialogue, you say 私は人影?Hmmm..sounds too poetic..basically okay though, remember, if you're a shy person, select 「人影です。」 (This is a shortened version, not poetic one.)
    I mean,
    私は人影です: the most formal, declarative, 私は人影: poetic, a bit romantic, 人影です: casual, simplified.

7. YangMuye Senior Member

Chinese - Mandarin
    If I recall correctly the most old style of Japanese did not always use copula such as なり or である.
    Old Chinese didn't use copula at all.

In modern Japanese, copulas(as well as する・した・している) is usually omitted in some styles of writing.
    For example, http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A4%96%E5%B1%B1%E6%81%92%E4%B8%80.
    (If you read the Chinese version, you will see copulas are omitted too.)

だ is sometimes omitted and often replaced by other particles, such as だよ、だわ、だね、なの. But です is not, as far as I know.

8. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Yes, 私は人影、私はカモメ, they result in figurative expressions, 比喩. When somebody sings 'I am a child', 僕は子供, he especially doesn't mention himself as a person who doesn't have the right to vote, prohibited from drinking and smoking;)

9. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    YangMuye, yes you're right. When I = hitokage, more declarative one, you can't omit です。 That's why this is not a figurative statement.

比喩ではなく、「私は人影です」という断定ならば、「です」は確かに省けないね!きみの言うとおりだよ:thumbsup: