On para verme

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Xander2024, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    Hello everyone,

could someone please tell me what "On para verme" means? At first I thought it was a misprint and it should be "Onu para verme" but just then I found in a dictionary a couple of sentences that began with "On para..." and got quite confused. So is it still a misprint or not? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    It must be a typo. Ona para verme (Don't give him money).
    On para vermek doesn't make sense. There is the expression On para etmez, meaning it's not worth anything - if that's what you saw in the dictionary.

3. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    Ah yes, "ona", not "onu" because it's the Dative case. Another typo, then. :(
    Yes, Rallino, I've seen this expression and one more: "on para on aslanın ağzında". They really baffled me.

Thanks for the help.

4. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Ah yes, that's another expression. It's a reference to someone who has to do a lot of work (who has two or three jobs) just to earn his bread.

If I push it, On para verme might, just might, mean something like don't give any money. However, I can't imagine any native speaker uttering this phrase, myself… I'm sure that it was a typo.

5. Xander2024 Senior Member

Southern Russia
    Russian
    I'm only 40 pages into the book and I've come across a dozen typos already. The above "On" is just another one. Some are conspicuous, like "okumıyorum", others are hard for me to discern and I have to ask natives for help.

Çok teşekkürler.