On-site

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Blackmirtl, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Blackmirtl Senior Member

russian
    I'm not sure what exactly "on-site" means here, help me to understand please.

"Specifically, small business websites do on-site SEO poorly or not at all, leaving large amounts of search traffic and potential customers on the table.
    The lack of small business on-site SEO is more about discipline, time management, repetition, and know-how".

The source: 4 SEO Tasks Small Businesses Must Do Every Month http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2240327/4-SEO-Tasks-Small-Businesses-Must-Do-Every-Month

2. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    Hi Blackmirtl,
    I would say that it means this, i.e.
    on-site
    SEO = search engine optimization done on the website
    on-site SEO discussions = SEO discussions located / taking place on the website

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. Blackmirtl Senior Member

russian
    Thank you :)

4. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    You`re welcome. :)

5. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    'On-site' seems a strange word here. Normally it means "on a company's premises - at their office" or on a literal site like a building site. Of course, a website is a 'site' too, but I've never seen 'on-site' used to mean "on a website", which is what it probably does mean here, as morior_invictus says. Also, I'm unfamiliar with 'on the table' as used here.

6. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    I agree. The author is fascinated by the word "on-site". He keeps repeating it over and over. In his conclusion, he even says "on-site content" as if your website could have content that was somewhere else.
    ("leaving business on the table" is a commonly used phrase in American business jargon)