One and a half hours. An hour and a half.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bg1996, Jul 11, 2007.

1. bg1996

bg1996 Senior Member

If I want to speak 90 minutes with the words--half&hour, I should say "one and a half hour" or "one and a half hours"? Then "one and a quarter hour/hours"? Other forms--one hour and a half, one and half an hour, are ok?
  2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Since 1 and 1/2 is greater than 1, to put it mathematically, it would be "one and a half hours" because you are talking about more than one hour. On the other hand, "three-quarters of an hour" has a singular "hour" because you are talking about a fraction of a single hour.
  3. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I agree with Bibliolept

one and a half hours:tick:
    one and a quarter hours:tick:
    one hour and a half:tick:
    one hour:tick:
    half an hour:tick:

one and half an hour:cross: we never say.:thumbsdown:
  4. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    In casual speech, I think "an hour and a half" and "an hour and a quarter" are the most common expressions.
  5. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English

But "two and a half hours" and "two and a quarter hours" if the time exceeds 2 hours.
  6. bg1996

bg1996 Senior Member

Thomas, thanks. You explain clearly.
    And, Packard, according to what your said, no one says, two hours and a half/quarter?
  7. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    If I heard someone say "two hours and a quarter", I'd know that English isn't their native language. It's always "two and a quarter hours".
  8. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English

I agree.
  9. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I've been trying this out on my inner ear and I don't think it's true in BE. I think I have said and do say 'two hours and a quarter'.
  10. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

Here is a related thread that may help you.
  11. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Here's another thread on 2 hrs 30 mins:

I think I have seen and heard 'two hours and a half'. Have a look at this exam paper from the University of Liverpool where the time allowed is given as 'Two Hours and a Half'. I'm sure this appeared in my old O level and A level exams too.
  12. Welshie

Welshie Senior Member

England, English
    There is nothing wrong with "Two hours and a half/quarter/ten minutes etc" as far as I am concerned (BE).
  13. knight111 New Member

arabic langauge
    <Merged with an earlier thread>

Is it correct to say " two and ahalf hours " or two hours and ahalf "
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  14. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    "A half" consists of two separate words.

As for your question, I suspect it depends on the context. If you are specifying a period of time (e.g. "the film goes for two and a half hours"), the first wording is likely to be more appropriate.
  15. fong_hay New Member

We usually call 0.5 hour 'half an hour',1 hour 'an hour'.
    Then how about 1.5 hours,2.5 hours?
    How do we call them correctly?
    You may find it kind of a silly question but I ain't a native English speaker so...:p
  16. Spira Banned

South of France
    UK English
    And as a non-native speaker please note that AIN'T is very poor spoken English, and never written (except when quoting someone who actually said it. Rather like "gonna").