One of my kitten's eyes is crusting over...

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Baltic Sea, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
  2. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    It most certainly can, Baltic Sea, but I think that in the case of kitten's eyes it would be more sensible to translate it as "Jedno z oczu mojego kociaka zasklepia się".
    That's what I tend to hear people use in reference to cat's eyes. I might very well be mistaken, though.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  3. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    As far as I understand, this article is about rabbits -- little rabbits, not about cats. Baby rabbit is also called a kitten. It cannot be translate the way you did it, if the sentence is related to a baby rabbit -- not a small cat. Kociak, would be understood as a baby cat, only in Polish -- I hope I am not wrong -- I am not really a rabbit breeder, but this is how the majority of people would understand it in Polish, so you have to find a word for a baby rabbit -- króliczek, I think. Oko mojego króliczka się zakleja. Maybe?

Otherwise I agree with Dreamlike. Zakleja or zalepia will be the word here.

4. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Yes, "kociak" refers almost exclusively to small cats -- it can also be a term of endearment used by lovers or otherwise, but that's a different story.
    The dimunitive form of "królik" is "króliczek", that's right.
    Having read your post, Liliana, I'm no longer sure whether it's "oko się zakleja" or "zasklepia" :confused:

5. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    I think it is zakleja, after all. Zasklepia may be something else. It may imply more of a mechanical problem, I think, although both words may really fit -- both will be understood correctly.

6. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    You may have a point. "Zasklepia" feels slightly awkward here.

7. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    So there is no mention of a scab being formed like when you get hurt and some portion of blood flows out of a wound.

8. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Need the verb "crust over" have anything to do with the process of forming a scab (dried). This title "One of my kitten's eyes is crusting over..." is not at all about a wound being healed, is it?

9. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    It is not about a wound, Baltic: it is about a yellowish secretion (or pus, perhaps) that forms in the rabbit's eyes and then dries making it hard for him to open his eyes.

10. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Thank you both very much for exhaustive comments.