one of the forerunners

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Pickle Posy, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Pickle Posy Senior Member

Paris, France
    British English
    I want to ask about a student who may have attended one of various historical institutions which were merged into a current school. My sentence in English is 'perhaps he studied at one of the forerunners [or predecessors] of your institution, such as..'

Can I say 'peut-être il a fait des études à l'un des prédécesseurs de votre école, comme...' ?

Thanks for any advice.

2. catay Senior Member

Canada anglais
    Perhaps, if this was "at one of your former schools", "à l'une de vos anciennes écoles" ?

3. Pickle Posy Senior Member

Paris, France
    British English
    Thanks - it's not quite a former school, I think.

I am writing to the administrator of a school that is the result of various previous schools being amalgamated: l'école est issu de la fusion de plusieurs établissements. My interest is in a student who may have studied at one of those previous schools. I want to get over the sense that I know the current school did not exist when he was a student, but they may have the records of the previous schools where he could have studied.

4. Pickle Posy Senior Member

Paris, France
    British English
    Still pondering on this - might institution antérieure work?

peut-être il a fait des études à une institution antérieure de la vôtre, comme...

5. cbolavie New Member

Français - France
    Hello,
    I don't think we have one word to say this.
    I would say "peut-être qu'il a fait ses études dans une institution ayant fusionnée avec la vôtre, comme...".
    nb: we don't say "peut-être il a fait"; we can say either "peut-être qu'il a fait" or "peut-être a-t-il fait ... ?"

6. Pickle Posy Senior Member

Paris, France
    British English
    cbolavie,

thanks and welcome to the forums! Your phrase works very well in my context. And thanks for the advice on peut-être qu'il... - I must have made that mistake scores of times!