One - ten [a measure of a person's physical attractiveness]

Discussion in 'Dictionary Additions' started by rusita preciosa, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    [OK, I do not exactly know how to set up this entry... I’ll try anyway and see what happens]

Term: One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, n

Your definition or explanation:

One: A person who is in the 90th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Very unattractive person.
    Two: A person who is in the 80th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Unattractive person.

Three: A person who is in the 70th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Fairly unattractive person.
    Four: A person who is in the 60th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Below average in terms of attractiveness.
    Five: A person who is in the 50th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Average looking person.

Six: A person who is in the 40th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Above average looking person.
    Seven: A person who is in the 30th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Fairly attractive person.
    Eight: A person who is in the 20th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Attractive looking person.
    Nine: A person who is in the 10th percentile in terms of his/her physical attractiveness; Very good looking person.

Ten: A person who has perfect looks; Extremely attractive person.

Example: I can't believe how many 9s and 10s are in this club. If you are a 5, you have no chance with them.

One or more places you have seen the term: I mostly heard it used in everyday speech rather than written sources, but I could find a couple, mostly from thrashy dating sites:

"Essentially, I can go out to a club and come home with a few legit numbers or get a pull from 7s or 8s. (Nothing wrong with these girls, nice people.) I believe this and know this; it’s just how it is. However, I’m still having trouble breaking through to the really hot girls, the 9s and 10s."
    http://attractwomenanywhere.com/blog/2010/01/14/how-do-i-date-9s-and-10s-the-super-attractive-women/

"Most guys believe that 9s and 10s are super hard to get and that for them you need to have ultra-strong game".
    http://www.lovesystems.com/dating-advice/picking-up-9s-and-10s

Have you looked for this term or meaning in dictionaries, and not found it? Yes __:tick:__ No ___

2. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hello Rusita,

Those numbers are used not only to measure the attractiveness of somebody but also to set a value or degree on anything that can be rated (a dish, for example). Compare with the following definition of "ten":

3. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I saw that, but I think that it is different when characterizing a person and not providing any verbiage around it (e.g. "She's a ten." / "I can't believe how many eights and nines there are here.")

4. swift

swift Senior Member

Hi again, Rusita.
    Sure, I'm just saying that this meaning doesn't seem unfamiliar to me considering the definition I quoted before. Of course, when it comes to the use of those terms, there certainly is a difference. :)

5. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    I believe this is already in dictionaries. It's just hard to look it up as dictionaries cover individual words and not systems for describing things. This is from www.merriam-webster.com's definition for "ten":
    5: one deserving the highest rating; specifically : an exceptionally attractive person

6. swift

swift Senior Member

:thumbsup: That definition appears in Merriam-Webster's 11th Collegiate Dictionary. :) I should have double-checked before posting my first comment.

7. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    The (erm) terminology has certainly been around for a long time ... at least since the release of the rather lame film 10 (1979).

8. rusita preciosa

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Well, I guess it leaves us with one through nine then...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.