1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Onks? Saanks?

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by toonarmy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. toonarmy Senior Member

Italia, italiano
    Hello everyone, I've been using Wordreference for ages and I had never realized there is a finnish forum in english! :eek:
    You could be my saviours, this language is a hell :D

Now coming to the point, a question that I've always wondered and never found an answer for: this spoken abbreviations with "ks" can be made with any verb or just with some of them? If so, is there a general trend to pick the right ones? And do they only replace suffix "ko" or also something else?
    Thanks in advance!

2. altazure Junior Member

My intuition says it can be used with any verb; at least I can't think of any verbs where I wouldn't use it.

In second person singular, -ks also replaces the -t- personal suffix:

Saatko (sinä)? -> Saaks sä? (usually pronounced "saaksä")

NB! As you may know, in spoken language, plural first and third persons ((me) saamme, (he) saavat; Saammeko (me)? Saavatko (he)?) are replaced with the passive and singular third person, respectively. The -ks suffix is only used with these colloquial forms, whereas the "grammatically correct" forms can only have the -ko suffix.

Me saamme. -> Me saadaan.
    He saavat. -> Ne/He saa. ("Ne" is usually used instead of "he" in colloquial language)
    Saammeko me? -> Saadaanko me? -> Saadaanks me? ("Saammeks me?" is not used)
    Saavatko he? -> Saako ne? -> Saaks ne? ("Saavaks he?" is not used)

3. toonarmy Senior Member

Italia, italiano
    Thank you very much! :)
    I knew about the spoken forms of the plural first and third persons, but I didn't know that ks would be used only with these forms and not with the "correct" ones :D
    So as far as I understand with plural persons you never use it, do you? Like "ovatko?" = "ovaks?" for example.

4. altazure Junior Member

Yes, you never use it like that. "Ovatko (he)?" becomes "Onks (he/ne)?"

Remember though, you can still say "Onko (he/ne)?" instead. This sounds a bit more formal.

5. toonarmy Senior Member

Italia, italiano
    Cheers! :thumbsup:

6. Gwydda Junior Member

Finnish
    Worthwhile pointing out is the second person singular variable -ts-, as in "osaatsä laulaa?".

I was talking about this the other day with some friends, and most of us would when chatting (Facebook, whatsup etc.) write that out as a single word. So not "Osaat sä laulaa?"
    I think it's also being reflected in the pronunciation: there's no stress on the final syllable.

Although I'd say "saa'aks me" ;)