online etymological dictionaries

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by modus.irrealis, Jul 24, 2006.

1. modus.irrealis Senior Member

English, Canada

The topics about Romance etymologies had me wondering about what online resources there are for this. I've only found a few but I was wondering if people knew of any dictionaries, etc. online that contain etymological information about words for any language. I realize that they'll be monolingual so I won't understand much, but I'm interested in any resource to add to my bookmarks.

The ones I have found so far:

Online Etymology Dictionary
    (There's also the online OED but it's for pay and I only have access through my school.)

Le Trésor de la Langue Française Informatisé

Diccionario de le Lengua Español

Τριανταφυλλίδης On-Line

Hopefully this is an appropriate topic...
  2. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

3. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
  4. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Hindi and Urdu: Platts

It is very comprehensive and many times will list the origin and etymology of words.
  5. betulina una mod a Baetulo

al bressol del basquetbol
    català - Catalunya
  6. modus.irrealis Senior Member

English, Canada
    Wow, those all look really good. Thanks to all of you.
  7. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
  8. AnnaJDT

AnnaJDT Senior Member

9. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
  10. Semuke New Member

In Dutch:
  11. mabsurda Member

Español, Argentina
    For German:

Each word shows the corresponding entry in the Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Deutschen - ISBN 3-05-000626-9; 7. Auflage 2004, ISBN 3-423-32511-9 - Wolfgang Pfeifer (Leitung)
  12. Sprocedato Senior Member

Italian - Rome contains many wild guesses by the author, Pianigiani. I like his comparisons with other languages, but don't trust his etymologies, especially when they go beyond Latin.

For example, he connects lat. fons with lat. fundo. At the time of his writing, in 1907, fundo had already been recognized as deriving from i.e. verbal root gheu 'to pour'. Fons, on the other hand, was without etymology and Pianigiani should have used at least a dubitative form to warn the reader that his connection was not 'widely accepted'. In 1959 IEW (Indogermanisches etymologisches Wörterbuch) connects lat. fons with i.e. root dhen 'run', 'set in motion': . The connection is not certain and the formal problems are mentioned.

For the Italian language I use . The etymological information is accurate and up to date, though usually limited to the immediate source language.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  13. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

Japanese site is here:

However, the etymologies that has been explained are fewer the English site.