Only two more sleeps!

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, May 26, 2010.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, I have learnt this sentence in another thread and brings sweet memories back because I heard the Hungarian version quite often. Do you use the same or similar sentence in your language? Thanks.

Hungarian: Már csak kettőt kell aludni! .... [már(yet), csak(only), kettőt(two), kell(is necessary), aludni(to sleep)]
  2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

If I understand well, in Turkish we say:

5 dakika daha, n'olur! [5 more minutes, come on!]
  3. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Well, it seems, my sentence is rather difficult. That English and Hungarian sentences are used especially in children talk. It is so difficult to explain it. A little child can say: Only two more sleeps until Christmas, so it is kind of expressing that a positive event is very close. Since so fare not many responses it makes me feel only we know it. :)
  4. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Oh...I'm sorry I had no idea. I don't think there is a saying like that here.
  5. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

I am sorry too. :( maybe we stay alone with English.
  6. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    In Portuguese: Só tenho/tem que dormir duas vezes (twice)/noites (two nights)/hoje e amanhã (today and tomorrow).
  7. enoo Senior Member

French - France
    So, it's a "fixed" saying, and even if actually there's 4 days left, for example, people will say "only two more sleeps"? Or can it be used only just two nights before an event?
  8. ilocas2 Senior Member

In the Czech language it is told often to small children at Christmas.

Ještě se
    jednou/dvakrát/třikrát/čtyřikrát vyspíš a přijde Ježíšek

You will sleep only once/twice/three times/four times and Christkind will come
  9. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, as ilocas2 has written, it is not a fixed saying. You can say "only 1, 2..100 more sleeps.. I hope that helps
    Olá, just because it seems to me it is not a very common sentence, do you use it, have you heard it? ObrigadO.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
  10. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I don't think we have this saying here.
  11. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

First I am not sure if it is a saying, it is a (idiomatic) sentence, quite common in Hungarian and according to WR it is used in Australia, too.
  12. tangus Junior Member

Spanish - AR
    What is the meaning of the saying? “Only two more nights”? ¿?
  13. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

14. tangus Junior Member

Spanish - AR
    OK. Nothing similar in Spanish. I guess the siesta makes it difficult to calculate...
  15. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

USA Northeast
    Just as a note: this expression sounds very childish. Above age 10 I don't think anyone would say it.... but I might be wrong. It's my impression. I've heard children saying "two more nighty-nights to Christmas" too. From the expression "nighty night", child's talk for "Good night!"
    Edit: I just read people say that in Australia. So I take back what I wrote above.
  16. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Not only sounds but of course it is an expression used mostly by children or who still feel children. :) But this is not the point here.
  17. Volcano Senior Member

In Turkish

I could say sayılı günler kala.
  18. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, what does it mean literally? Thanks.
  19. Volcano Senior Member

Only a few days to (something)
  20. jonmaz Senior Member

Greetings from Australia.

I heard my son use this only last week. On the Thursday, he was explaining to his son that his fourth birthday party (on Sunday) was just "three sleeps away!". I'm sure my grandson was able to realise that it would be soon, but not the following day at least.

Adults might also say it to their friends in a light-hearted way but it is usually reserved for the little ones who might measure the passage of time with the number of times the days finish with sleep.
  21. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello foreros, I wonder how about German? Japanese? or of course other versions..thanks

And the question is : How many more sleeps?

Hungarian: Mennyit kell még aludni?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  22. 810senior

810senior Senior Member

That's interesting but unfortunately I haven't heard someone said such a similar phrase...
    Literal translation:後何日したら?(how many more days pass by?) もういくつ寝たら?(how many more nights to sleep?)

If you're interested, we have a song with regards to the new year, when the singer feels so happy that can't sleep over the rest of nights to ring in.
  23. Lune bleue

Lune bleue Senior Member

French - France

(Very young) children use this expression in French too. It sounds : "encore 2 dodos avant XX"

It works with any amount of days, but above 5 or 6 they'll get confused anyway.
  24. Holger2014 Senior Member

German: Nur noch X-mal schlafen, dann ist XX.
    nur = only, just, no more than
    noch = yet, still (perhaps similar to Hungarian már and Czech ještě)
    X-mal = X times
    schlafen = sleep (infinitive)
    dann = then
    ist = is

Unfortunately I can't think of any German equivalent to the French dodos...
  25. bibax Senior Member

In Czech the sentence is used exclusively by the adults:

Child (ceaselessly, annoyingly):
    Kdy už budou Vánoce? When will the Christmas begin?
    Ještě dvakrát se vyspíš. You will sleep twice more.
    Už jen jednou se vyspíš. You will sleep only once.

Ger noch = Cz ještě = Hun még;
    Ger schon = Cz již/už = Hun már;
    Ger noch zweimal = Cz ještě dvakrát = Hun még kétszer;
    It's difficult to translate this little words into English.
  26. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: literally 'Nog twee nachtjes slapen voor ...' (Still ... [to sleep] - I think something is implied like 'we must/ need to sleep for two more nights')